Official Review: Shadowland by C.M.Gray

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: Shadowland by C.M.Gray

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shadowland" by C.M.Gray.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We have heard the legend of King Arthur, but do you know how he came to be? Do you know who Merlin really was and his role in this legend? In the historical fiction and young adult read, Shadowland: A Tale from the Dark Ages by C.M. Gray, shares a story that leaves the reader with a sense of satisfaction, yet longing for more.

This riveting tale starts with a storyteller, Usher Vance. He is a unique storyteller because he insists to have lived longer than he can remember. With the help of his friend Calvador Craen, both men recount Britain's dark days to listeners waiting with bated breath. The expectant audience hears the tale when these dark days consisted of the Saxons who wanted to take over Britain when the Romans left; to a time when Usher claims to have lived.

It all begins on the day when the two young boys, Usher and Calvador, nearly escape from their village being attacked by the threatening blue-faced Picts, who we find out later are on the Saxons' side. When the boys realize Calvador's sister, Nineve, has been taken by these men, they rush to her aid with the help of a nearby farmer and ex-warrior, Meryn Link, who they meet by chance. Encountering trouble along the way, the characters discover that life is not as simple as they once thought it was. With some guidance from the druids, the roles of each character become more and more defined.

As the storyteller and his friend progress in their tale, the listeners hear how the people throughout Britain united to take back their lands from the Saxons and the Picts. In order to do this, they had to find the one who would rise up as their one true king. The one who would overthrow Vortigern, who claimed to be the King of the Britons. The question that remains is who would that fearless leader be?

The author cleverly brings an account that anyone growing up with the legend of King Arthur would enjoy. The plot is full with rich details and is told through multiple characters' perspectives, whose tales connect to the main story line. I was able to clearly visualize the time period through the use of the author's descriptions of the setting and his characters. In addition, the characters were very well-developed; I could easily come to understand each of the protagonist's feelings and thoughts.

The simple and beautiful writing should also be noted. Gray has a way of portraying his story so fluently and seemingly effortless that I couldn't withhold myself from reading the next chapter for long.

Themes of friendship, loyalty, trust, bravery, and acts of faith weave together well throughout Shadowland. It made the reading more enjoyable to relate to such common themes. For instance, not to give too much away, but Meryn proves to not only to be loyal to his friends and show bravery, but he leans on the spirits to guide his thinking. He believes these spirits know what is meant to be and their message is meant to be followed.

With all of the positive aspects of this book and how much I simply enjoyed reading Shadowland, I wish I could give it more than a 4 out of 4 stars rating. However, it isn't possible, so I will leave you with this: each time I opened this book, my heart soared and my mind was filled with excitement. I will confess that I was a little brokenhearted when I finished. I would highly recommend this book for those who enjoy young adult historical fiction, characters learning their specific roles in life, the legend of King Arthur, and an author who can really tell a story!

Shadowland
View: on Bookshelves

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds really good! A re-telling of the story of King Arthur should be interesting to read. I am glad you enjoyed the book so much. Great review as always. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It was really good! Thank you, and thank you for your kind words. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice review of what looks like a really good story! Your enthusiasm for the book really shines through. Congrats to the author on receiving 4 stars. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, bookowlie, for your kind words! :) The author did such a great job telling this story. I've recently learned that the sequel to this book is coming out next month. I can't wait to read it! :)
Heidi

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Isn't that great when a sequel is almost ready to come out right after you finish a book you love? Great timing!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It is pretty great! I actually connected with the author on Twitter and that's how I found out when the next book is coming out. It is pretty perfect timing! It'll be fresh in mind, but I can read a few other book in between.
Heidi

bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Fantastic review! I love reading new takes on The King Arthur legend.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, bluemel14! Me too. :)
Heidi

chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

It seems to me that the story is worth to be adapted for television series. Very nice review, hsimone. You made it very clear that you liked the book, and we know why.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I love how enthusiastic you are about the book. It really makes me want to read the story. It sounds really interesting. Great job on the review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

chytach18- wrote:It seems to me that the story is worth to be adapted for television series. Very nice review, hsimone. You made it very clear that you liked the book, and we know why.
I was thinking the same thing! The very least a movie, but a series would be able to add more details than a movie would.

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad that my writing shows how much I enjoy and appreciate this read. Thank you for saying so. :)

-- 19 Mar 2016, 18:02 --
CrescentMoon wrote:I love how enthusiastic you are about the book. It really makes me want to read the story. It sounds really interesting. Great job on the review!
Thank you, CrescentMoon! I'm glad I portrayed how much I really enjoyed reading Shadowland because I truly did! Also, thank you for your kind words :D
Heidi

Mika83
Currently Reading: The Golem and The Jinni
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by Mika83 »

I really liked this book and the author's writing style. Thanks for the reminder, I've meant to try more of his.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for your thoughts, Mika83! Definitely! The second of this series is out, too. It could essentially be read as a stand alone, but I liked having the background of this one because the second book meant more to me. Hope you enjoy his other works!
Heidi

lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

I love a good historical fiction book. Great review!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Return to “Historical Fiction”