Review: Honor By Elif Shafak

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hananon
Currently Reading: Never Let Me Go
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review: Honor By Elif Shafak

Post by Hananon »

Pembe and Jamila are twin sisters. Their family lives in a Kurdish village near the Turkish-Syrian border. Born identical, shared every second of their childhood, they could never dream how far their fates were actually entwined.

Pembe gets married and moves to London, while Jamila stays behind to become a famous midwife. I don’t want to give you any spoilers. Time and POVs change several times as we watch the events that led to the honor murder in 1978 unfold.

Initially, I picked up the book because it gave me what I like to call “Hosseini-vibe”. When I read the back cover my interest was piqued so I just bought it. In hindsight, it was a good decision.

Honor killing is the main topic in this novel; but I refuse to delve into this issue.

Although the novel discusses the murder that shatters the lives of the Toprak family, there are other profound truths and morals hidden in there;
  • one must always find the strength to forgive,
    sisters are the best kind of friends,
    people are always paying the price for crimes they didn’t commit. i.e life’s unfair.
Overall, it’s a beautiful book. I liked it more than Forty Rules of Love.

:techie-studyinggray: Have you read this book??? what did you think about it?
Ambergis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ambergis »

The most amazingggg book i could come accross i love every bit of it beautifully written i got drown into this book literally❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
H M Moaaz Sajid
Currently Reading: Short Stories from Saskatchewan and Beyond
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h-m-moaaz-sajid.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by H M Moaaz Sajid »

I am really eager to read it after completing the bastard of Istanbul

Return to “Historical Fiction”