Favorite Historical Fiction Authors

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Re: Favorite Historical Fiction Authors

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Gretchen Craig is a current favorite. Her stories are primarily based in Louisiana, during the 19th century. They focus on the strife slavery, plantations, and other related issues. She is an excellent storyteller.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
emthomas1
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B0163GNS5S

Post by emthomas1 »

Gary Jennings wrote a series about the Aztecs which is tremendous (especially the first book).
E.M. Thomas
Steffania
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steffania.html

Post by Steffania »

Hi!

The books of Colin Falconer are very useful to find things about history. If you lie to know more about Otoman Empire, the conflict between Israel and Palestine, the situation in Argentina please try them!
Joy V Smith
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Joy V Smith »

I like Zane Grey's frontier westerns (I teethed on them) and The Revolt of Sarah Perkins by Marian Cockrell is another good frontier western about a woman who escapes to a new life on the frontier.

-- 28 Aug 2016, 16:57 --

Oh, the Green Knowe books with the switching back and forth between the present and the past are fun. They're children's books, btw.

-- 28 Aug 2016, 16:59 --

Sorry, the Green Knowe books are by L. M. Boston, an interesting author.
agarla00
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agarla00.html

Post by agarla00 »

Philippa Gregory is by far my favorite historical fiction author. I tend to become obsessed with historical people and events. Philippa Gregory allows me to experience their lives.
Rebecca675
Currently Reading: Spirit of Horses
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca675.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Rebecca675 »

I am so excited to find this thread! So many authors I have never heard of but a genre that I love, #winning!!! I must admit that Jean M Auels Earth's Children series is my favorite, but I loved the Outlander series as well.

I am also an avid Philippa Gregory fan and I can't wait to check out some of these new authors too! Thank you everyone for the recommendations!!
open-book
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-open-book.html

Post by open-book »

HarneetB wrote:I am a big fan of Indu Sundaresan, The Twentieth Wife was an amazing book and I really enjoyed it. She captured this epic love story and drama so beautifully, it felt like I was part of the story. The book is based on an Empress in India and in films, tv shows, and literature she has been known to be evil and conniving and I like how this story tells us from her perspective and gives the reader the impression that she wasn't always this cold person. The events in her life shaped her that way. Sundaresan's writing was amazing and am excited to read more of her work.
This sounds like my kind of book. I will definitely check this out.

You may also like Princess by Jean Sasson. Great book worth a read :)
marles
Favorite Author: Margaret George
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7">Memoirs of Cleopatra</a>
Currently Reading: Anna Karennina
Bookshelf Size: 27
fav_author_id: 12655

Post by marles »

Margaret George, hands down, my favorite Historical Fiction author. shes incredible
Adamandia
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 17">bloody earth</a>
Currently Reading: Stalked by love
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamandia.html

Post by Adamandia »

Some of my favourite authors in historical fiction are:
Hannah Howell
Julie Garwood
Diana Gabaldon
Denise Lynn and Virginia Henley.
I especially liked the medieval plantagenet trilogy by Virginia Henley.
I go back to this genre when I have had enough of other genres and want to feel nostalgic and see the basic things in life that matter without the frivolities and amenities of the present.
pet2017+
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pet2017.html

Post by pet2017+ »

One of my favorite historical fiction author is Heather Graham and her Vikings Trilogy books. I could read those books over and over.
Ste J
Currently Reading: A Dance to the Music of Time
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Ste J »

Irene Nemirovsky is a powerful writer, plenty of drama and emotion with her. All her books have been fine reads.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

Lately I've been reading Diana Jefferies. Most of her books I've read take place in India around the 1930's.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Cary4green
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cary4green.html

Post by Cary4green »

Historical Fiction is certainly my favorite genre. As another poster has mentioned, I also enjoy straying to other topics such as mystery or fantasy but enjoy the historical fictions the most.
James Alexander Thom has never failed to engage me with his delightful stories and incredible research into histories to assure he has provided an accurate account to the reader. There are other authors that are amazing in this genre but J. A. Thom has mastered this particular skill beyond any other I could suggest. Please try his latest book, Fire in the Water, and then look up the history of the subject. You just might think he was there during that era.
lm1024
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lm1024.html

Post by lm1024 »

Like others have said...

Philippa Gregory does a great job at historical fiction. I enjoy her style. She tells the story not from the main historical figure, but from a lesser unimportant figure. I enjoyed this. For example in The Other Boleyn Girl, the story is told from the sister's point of view, not from Anne Boleyn's point of view.

I really like Ken Follett, but his style is different most of the books I have read. I am pretty sure it is because he is a male author. For example, he killed off a main character in first person. He was the first author I read who did this. I really took me by surprise.

Jean Auel's Earth's Children series used to be by far my favorite series. I loved the series. However, my absolute favorite historical fiction is by far The Outlander series. I tell everyone about these books. The are quirky at first, but you will forever be hooked. I am so sad for the day when the main characters will die. I love the series so much that I have listened and read the books. Love, love, love! My mom, aunt, and I all devoured these books.
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Steffania wrote: 17 Aug 2016, 02:54 Hi!

The books of Colin Falconer are very useful to find things about history. If you lie to know more about Otoman Empire, the conflict between Israel and Palestine, the situation in Argentina please try them!
I would like love to read about the Ottoman Empire, so thanks for this recommendation.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton

Return to “Historical Fiction”