May BOTM - Featured Review: Save the Last Bullet for God

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Re: May BOTM - Featured Review: Save the Last Bullet for God

Post by bookiegalke »

while the book ain't an attack on Christianity as the reviewer puts it, its the bloody content that makes me hesitant on reading it. however, judging from the review, the writer sure put a lot of effort into it.
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Olufemi Showunmi
Currently Reading: Hard Place
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olufemi-showunmi.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Olufemi Showunmi »

Interestingly nice review, analytical and all encompassing. The title of the book though catchy but sounds blasphemous on the outer look, having gone through your review I found out the suitability of the title for the book, i have downloaded it for a read. Great job!
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
akeseh
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akeseh.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by akeseh »

A book that is not written in a chronological order may be difficult to understand. But I will try and read maybe the story will prove me wrong.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Nwonye Obini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwonye-obini.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Nwonye Obini »

Books like this deserve close attention. Since the review has pointed out that the concepts presented are above average intelligence, I don't think that readers should take them literarily.

In my opinion, Kill God" could mean eschewing religious dogmas that stop us seeing and comprehending the mysteries of existence.
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Baba Thoust »

rachel_jacks wrote: 18 Dec 2015, 09:25 [Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Save the Last Bullet for God" by JT Alblood.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Save the Last Bullet for God by JT Alblood is intellectually challenging and makes the reader question the reality of the life that we all know. When I picked up this book, I thought I was going to be reading about a secret military mission that took place during World War II. I was wrong. The simple version is this: the reader is taken on a journey through time across the lives of many well known historical figures to learn about a complex operation that was created with a single mission. Kill God. This operation challenges every preconceived idea that humans have about how the world works and incorporates aliens, occult societies, secret codes, and human biology/psychology.

Although this story is a journey across time, it is not written chronologically. Each section of the story is clearly identified but, it can still be hard to follow the jumps in time. Often, the time jumps are accompanied by a change in perspective or character. It was not difficult to reorient myself as I read but, the flow of the story was broken by these sudden changes.

Alblood has a natural talent for writing, which makes it easy to read his work. At the same time, he is very intellectual and the concepts presented in this book are above average intelligence. This book is perfect for a reader that likes stimulating material and can follow complex ideas. I would strongly encourage any science fiction fan to check out this book. This book pulls together the nerdiest of the nerds with the in-depth discussions involving psychology, physics, astronomy, history, and more. While the mission is to kill God, I can't say I would discourage people of faith from reading this book. It is not an attack on Christianity or any religion in general. There are overly graphic scenes described, so I would discourage anyone from reading that can't handle blood and guts.

While the story does involve actual historical events, much of what takes place is not believable. I am going to use that word ("believable") for a reason. The secret operation that underlies the entire plot for this story involves viewing life from an entirely new perspective. The ability to accept this concept is limited by the knowledge and understanding that humans possess at this time. Therefore, this story is not believable in relation to the reality we know today but, could be believable in the future.

I am still trying to wrap my head around the lesson that was taught in this book. I truly believe that it can only be learned through reading. There was a point, about halfway through, when a dramatic twist took place. I anticipated that was the end of the story. The second half of the story was when things got weird. The lesson is not learned until the last sentence. Understanding the entire story is paramount to understanding the lesson.

The hardest part of this review was deciding on a rating. I feel that the story could be improved by some minor revisions in sequencing. This would improve the rhythm and flow of the entire story and make it easier to follow. However, it would not detract from the complexity of the whole. Since that is the only "flaw" I found in this complex, intellectual piece I feel that Save the Last Bullet for God by JT Alblood has earned 4 out of 4 stars.

Save the Last Bullet for God
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on Smashwords

Like rachel_jacks's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sometimes I read reviews such as "rachel jack's" above and I wish I could get close to writing one like that. Awesome review, I would like to know how the story goes; how certain people could understand the foreigners. From the review and how it was put down I believe the 4 stars was legit.
TIGER999
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Winchester Mansion Omnibus
Bookshelf Size: 146

Post by TIGER999 »

Such a complex challenging book...sounds like it'd provide many opportunities for learning & expanding one's thinking about our reality. Thanks for an insightful review!
branded
Currently Reading: Inertia
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by branded »

I love the aspect of not really involving any religion, and when what you anticipated to be the end of the story took a twist in the other half of the story. I am a lover of suspense. The lesson is not learned until the last sentence.
HaleyBelinda7
Currently Reading: Snowman Paul at the Winter Olympics
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by HaleyBelinda7 »

You see, my first thought was that we took the bullet to save God. 😊 Not that he would take a bullet, to me that's not possible. It is interesting reading though. Very gripping indeed. :tiphat:
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

A good intellectual read and thought provoking. Nice review.
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-waragu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

While the mission is to kill God, I can't say I would discourage people of faith from reading this book. It is not an attack on Christianity or any religion in general. There are overly graphic scenes described, so I would discourage anyone from reading that can't handle blood and guts.
And I cant put it better than you have done it here. The Title "Save the last bullet for God" at first made me to think more. Good review.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The cover is fantastic, and the subject matter is quite an undertaking! I'm sure this would raise a lot of thought-provoking questions.
vnod adhikari
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by vnod adhikari »

This novel really allows you to feel as though you are seeing behind the scenes of World War II.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Great review. I was wrong on my first taught about war but it is not. it sound a good book, I want to read this one some other time.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Wow this sounds like an amazing book, I love books you can learn from. I will be downloading this book and adding it to my bookshelves!
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

Phew! This books seems like a difficult read!

Return to “Historical Fiction”