Review of Forty Years In A Day

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Review of Forty Years In A Day

Post by Vivian Stones »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Forty Years In A Day" by Mona Rodriguez.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Mona Rodriguez displayed a high level of skill in this book, Forty Years in a Day. The book starts with the narrator's father telling her his life story. In his story, he bares the details of his life; he talks about the good and bad times, the hurdles, and most importantly, the blessing of family. He also includes details from the life of his mother. After his story, he shares more information with the narrator, his daughter, which will intrigue everyone who comes in contact with this book.

Coming across a good read is a blessing to every reader, and this book is undoubtedly one. It is not an easy feat to tell a historical story spanning decades without confusing potential readers. However, Mona had me in her clutches, taking me through decades of the history of the Montanaros. I loved how Mona Rodriguez was able to connect the reader to the emotions of her characters; creating relatable characters is an essential skill in writing.

I very much appreciated the author's penmanship, beautiful writing, and use of words. I also loved how she infused historical and notable events of America into the book. Also, I loved the way Mona ended the book. When I thought the story was ending, she hit her readers with another shocking and thrilling revelation. Most of all, I loved how she depicted the importance of love for family and the feeling of completeness it brings. This deepened my belief that there is no greater relationship than that which you have with your family.

The only thing I did not appreciate in this book was that it was too tragic. So many tragedies befell the Montanaros, which made the book heart-wrenching at some point. Apart from this, the book was superb. Mona Rodriguez is a master in her field, and I look forward to other readers being able to read this book and share in its delight.

I rate this book five out of five stars, as it was an exhilarating, beautiful, and captivating read. The book was also professionally edited. The aspect of the book I disliked is insufficient reason to deduct a star. Hence, I cannot give this book a lower rating. I would recommend this book to all book lovers and enthusiasts, as I believe this book is suitable for all readers. I specifically recommend it to lovers of history.

Forty Years In A Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ivana_5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ivana_5 »

This is a narattor storytelling about family members. Father says your douther how he have a hard life, he told her about history of life. He tells her a mother and how leaves on difficult time. This story telling us how is important good relationship with family. Family helpp us to survive hard times and found reason to leave. I recommend everyone why like emotional stories.
Okocha Victor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Okocha Victor »

One thing I've realized from the many memoirs I've come across is that there is always someone in a more dire situation than you are. Someone will always need more help than you currently need, and someone will always be better too than you are.

Return to “Historical Fiction”