Review of Forty-Nine Crosses in Gainesville, Texas

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gavice Victoria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Review of Forty-Nine Crosses in Gainesville, Texas

Post by Gavice Victoria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Forty-Nine Crosses in Gainesville, Texas" by Lorne Jones.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Cleet Harris, a man who has seen war, its pains, and its consequences, decides he wants nothing to do with bloodshed anymore. He set out on a mission but was instead forced onto a path of vengeance. While this new path tests his resolve, he finds love that seems predestined, friendship, and a bigger family bonded by loss, grief, and pain. On the other hand, Virginia, an orphaned rancher who is kind-hearted and brave, wants nothing more than to protect the people she has left, who engulf her in the cocoon of familial love. But an enemy is lurking, looking to cause even more harm. One act of humanity consequently bred more, bringing two people who didn't know they needed each other together. Forty-Nine Crosses in Gainesville, Texas is one book that you shouldn't miss reading.

One thing I loved about this book was its ability to make me feel at ease. It was easy to relate to the story and the characters. The internal conflict, which those who should be protecting were igniting, was the main focus rather than the external one. Each character's struggle was made glaring enough to make you feel everything at the same time.

Set in the period of the American civil war, Forty-Nine Crosses in Gainesville, Texas by Lorne Jones shows the struggles of black people even after freedom, with people bonding in pain irrespective of race. People who should have been broken but fought together and came out with immeasurable love in their hearts found friendships in the most unlikely places.

Though I found Cleet and Virginia's relationship a bit too fast-paced, I realized that when you have seen your life flash before your eyes countless times and have known countless losses, the possibility of happiness should be grabbed with both hands. I also love how well-developed the characters in this story are, and I commend the author, Lorne Jones, for a job well done. They are relatable, and it will be easy for readers to understand their actions and choices.

Another thing I loved about this book is its professional editing. Throughout the book, I only encountered one minor error. I am gladly rating this book 5 out of 5 stars because of the positive aspects I have mentioned above. The story is both calming and hopeful; hence, this book is recommended for lovers of history, those who never lose hope, and those who keep fighting even when there seems to be nothing else to fight for. This might sound ironic, but I would also recommend it to readers who feel like giving up on life. You may find your reason to hold on.

Forty-Nine Crosses in Gainesville, Texas
View: on Bookshelves
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

This seems like the perfect book for those who are interested in the American civil war or needing some Hope. Hope is such a powerful feeling
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

The meetings of the two people who have something they hope for in their hearts collide. I like to submerge myself in the story of Cleet and Virginia. Your review is wonderful!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Madam Tori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madam-tori.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Madam Tori »

The book's setting in the period of the American civil war is fascinating, and I am sure that the author has done an excellent job of depicting the struggles of that time. Your review has convinced me that this book is more than just a historical fiction novel, but one that speaks to the human experience, resilience, and love.
A reader lives a thousand lives before they die. What is more marvelous, more wholesome, more exquisite, than exploring all the worlds and universes that humanity can ever conceive?
Reader_noc
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-noc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Reader_noc »

Your review has a captivating begining. Cleet and Virginia seems to be on opposite paths; one on a path of vengeance and the other, on a path to protect.
Seun Ukanwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seun-ukanwa.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Seun Ukanwa »

Your review aroused a high level of interest and curiosity in me. I will like to know more about the character of Cleet Harris. I am glad you rated the book a 5 out of 5 stars.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

I hope the path to vengeance that Cleet found himself on did not lead to more bloodshed. He had seen enough and I hope he was spared.
Francis Ignacio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Post by Francis Ignacio »

Race is a dicey issue to talk about. The issues surrounding racial discrimination and racism are prevalent issues that should be talked about more in our books. This one written is a good example of that.
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

I am impressed by your ability to capture the book's essence in just a few paragraphs, which is a skill that many reviewers lack. Your review has highlighted the book's unique qualities, which set it apart from other historical fiction novels.
“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall.”

Roald Dahl
Treasure Elendu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-treasure-elendu.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Treasure Elendu »

Your review sounds intriguing. Cleet and Virginia crossing path sounds like darkness and light crossing path because one was bent on vengeance while the other was bent to protecting. Thanks for the honest review, I'm definitely getting a copy.
Daniel Moore 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-moore-4.html

Post by Daniel Moore 4 »

I appreciate the way you emphasized the internal conflicts of the characters, which often drive the plot and provide a deeper understanding of the story. Your review is well-structured and flows seamlessly from one point to the next, making it easy to follow and understand. I love how you described the book as calming and hopeful, which are qualities that I look for in any book that I read.
Neto Chukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neto-chukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Neto Chukwu »

This review is really captivating and I could feel the emotions behind each words. The author really outdid himself with his book by creating This commendable work. I hope to get my hands on this novel soon!
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

:x Books that the author does his best to keep readers at ease are better understood and I believe that more effort should be put on passing the message rather than size of book.
Hartly Samsford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hartly-samsford.html

Post by Hartly Samsford »

I appreciate the fact that you pointed out the well-developed characters, which are a critical aspect of any book's success. I am sure that this book will not disappoint in that regard. I am glad that you rated the book 5 out of 5 stars, which is a testament to the quality of the book. I trust your review and will undoubtedly recommend the book to others.
Sly Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sly-thompson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sly Thompson »

You have done a great job of capturing the essence of the book and highlighting the unique qualities that make it a must-read. I am now curious about the book and cannot wait to get my hands on it.

Return to “Historical Fiction”