Official Review: The Devil Take Tomorrow

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: The Devil Take Tomorrow

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Devil Take Tomorrow" by Gretchen Jeannette.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Filled with action, intrigue, and romance, The Devil Take Tomorrow transports the reader to a defining moment of the American Revolution. Ethan Matlock is a Continental soldier charged with a perilous mission: infiltrating the British Army to foil an assassination attempt upon General George Washington. Using his quick wit and irresistible charms, Matlock immediately plants himself within the social circle of the masterminds behind the attempt, but soon becomes distracted by the beautiful (and fiercely patriotic) Maddie Graves, the niece of a British Loyalist. As Ethan becomes entrenched in his double life, time is running out to save George Washington, and the fate of a nation hangs in the balance.

The Devil Take Tomorrow is a captivating novel that will please lovers of historical fiction, especially those with an interest in the Revolutionary War. According to her biography, the author is an enthusiast of eighteenth-century American history, and did extensive research into the period to deliver a story that is as accurate as it is entertaining. While I am no expert on the American Revolution, some of the details of the novel prompted me to conduct my own research via the Internet, and I was impressed with my findings. In addition, I learned some things about the Revolutionary War that I did not know prior to reading this book.

The plot moves at a breakneck pace, and is combined with a writing style that provides vivid mental pictures of the characters and settings without being overly tedious. As I read, the story unfolded before me as though I was watching a movie. In my mind's eye, I could clearly see the blood-red uniforms of the British officers, elegant ladies in their voluminous gowns, and the stately mansion in which Ethan stays as a guest.

The character development is no less superb. Ethan is a multi-layered protagonist, charming and extremely loyal to his cause, but also not without his share of inner demons. Maddy is fiery, intelligent, and utterly defiant of the expectations of a woman of her station. The villains are thoroughly detestable, but the author avoids painting all British soldiers in a negative light, as so many stories about this period are wont to do. On the contrary, it's made very clear that there are good and bad people on both sides of the conflict.

I don't have any actual criticisms of this book, although I feel the need to warn readers about some of the content. There are some depictions of violence toward women, as well as references to rape. Nothing is graphic, but those who are easily upset by this material might want to avoid this book.

I enjoyed reading The Devil Take Tomorrow and rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Although I have already recommended this book to history lovers, I believe that it has diverse appeal and would be appreciated by a wide range of readers.

The Devil Take Tomorrow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords | Hassle-Free Sample

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review. I almost chose this book for review so it's a particular treat to read your opinions. It's always nice to learn some factual information while enjoying a meaty story. Good point about the violent content!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Wonderfully well written review! I really enjoyed reading it.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

I will add this to my list, thank you for a great review!! It appears you are a great book picker ;)
@LivreAmour217
The story sounds intriguing!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Bookowlie, Blueme14, and Escapeartist, thank you all for the kind words! :D
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review! This book seems compelling. The Revolutionary War is an interesting time period, but it is indeed too gritty for me--I had a bad experience as a kid with the movie Johnny Tremain!! I still shudder.

Congrats to the author. And to Livre, your enjoyment of this book is coming through really well!
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Great review! This book seems compelling. The Revolutionary War is an interesting time period, but it is indeed too gritty for me--I had a bad experience as a kid with the movie Johnny Tremain!! I still shudder.

Congrats to the author. And to Livre, your enjoyment of this book is coming through really well!
Thanks, Zelda! I understand your reservations about the book. War stories can be really intense!!!
miss_argyle
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-argyle.html
Latest Review: "Ordinary Handsome" by Steven Baird

Post by miss_argyle »

I'll be checking this book out based on your review. Very well written.
Latest Review: "Ordinary Handsome" by Steven Baird
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

miss_argyle wrote:I'll be checking this book out based on your review. Very well written.
Thanks! I hope you enjoy it! :)
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

As I read, the story unfolded before me as though I was watching a movie. In my mind's eye, I could clearly see the blood-red uniforms of the British officers, elegant ladies in their voluminous gowns, and the stately mansion in which Ethan stays as a guest.
I love feeling connected to a book like this. You've highlighted one of my favorite parts of reading. Awesome review!
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Tanaya wrote:
As I read, the story unfolded before me as though I was watching a movie. In my mind's eye, I could clearly see the blood-red uniforms of the British officers, elegant ladies in their voluminous gowns, and the stately mansion in which Ethan stays as a guest.
I love feeling connected to a book like this. You've highlighted one of my favorite parts of reading. Awesome review!
Thank you so much!!! :D
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

Loved the review! I try not to judge books by their titles, but this title of this book stands out to me. I'll put this on my list!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Jesska6029 wrote:Loved the review! I try not to judge books by their titles, but this title of this book stands out to me. I'll put this on my list!
Great, I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for the feedback! :)
26mada26daddy
Currently Reading: The Taste of Champagne Urge
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 26mada26daddy »

Livre Amour 217 I have read your 'Official Review' of 'The Devil Take Tomorrow'. I'm very impressed with how you reported your findings. You simply described your experience but managed to avoid getting personally involved in the 'frame of reference' without judgment. Like the professional you appear to be. you had the discipline, poise and the humility to state only what you learnt from your observations and experience. I find it refreshing to know that significant reviewers like you are available to authors. Two quotes confirm your 'ace reporting style' review which highlights my admiration for this particular style of reviewing. (A) "... a writing style that provides vivid mental pictures of the characters and settings . . . " (B) ". . . the villans are thoroughly detestable . . . ". Your review is simple and to the point.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Heck, yeah! I love her reviews too! :-)

Return to “Historical Fiction”