"Making Bombs for Hitler" by Marsha Forchuk Skrypuch

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ShajutiRawr
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shajutirawr.html

"Making Bombs for Hitler" by Marsha Forchuk Skrypuch

Post by ShajutiRawr »

This book is a real page turner. This book is about two sisters who get taken away and separated by Nazis in WWII. Lida is too young to be useful to anyone important at the camp she was taken to but she convinces the soliders that she is 12 so she can stay alive. She ends up, as the title states, making bombs for Hitler. It shows the inner struggle between trying to do what's right and doing what she has to to stay alive.

This book has a very serious tone to it as well as an emotional coming of age aspect to it.

If you like books that are about WWII and girl power, this book is perfect for you!
maroki13
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maroki13.html
Latest Review: "Whispers from the East" by Amie Ali
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by maroki13 »

Wow, that definitely sounds like something I'd like to read. I'm going to add it to my list. :) Thanks for the recommendation!
Latest Review: "Whispers from the East" by Amie Ali
maryleebooks
Favorite Author: Dr. Seuss
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryleebooks.html
fav_author_id: 4823

Post by maryleebooks »

Okay, I have to read it now to find out what happens to that girl. Sounds interesting.
Emma_46

Post by Emma_46 »

I absolutely love this book. It has so many great plots and amazing characters with amazing storyline behind the whole book. I love how the book ends with happiness but still some sadness left.
KICH

Post by KICH »

Love the storyline and i think i'v got to read the whole story
Maja Saveva

Post by Maja Saveva »

Wow! Definitely reading this as soon as i can.
Mrpotatopoops

Post by Mrpotatopoops »

This book is amazing!If you love to read books about war world || than this is the book for you.This books contains parts where jews gets taken away and the work camps and is very detailed,which is great so you can imagine how the “actual” place looked like!
Mamaliea
Currently Reading: The Witch Of Portobello
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Mamaliea »

To clarify, this book is not a story of concentration camps, but rather the work camps in Nazi Germany during WWII. I never knew that people, particularly women and children, were being kidnapped from various nations to work in the Nazi factories during and before World War II until I read this book. I recently began watching the show Bomb Girls, which depicts the mostly female workforce in American artillery factories during the same time period, and the counterpoint is a poignant one. The girls and women forced into labor making bombs in this story were certainly not working with the patriotic love depicted of the American women who worked willfully to protect those they loved on the front lines.
The author was able to capture the reality of living and working in the camp in a way that was very real, but not so brutally real that I would hesitate to share the book with a sensitive child. A lot of focus is placed on creating and holding connection with others, even when family is torn away. There is also a lot of focus on keeping personal integrity and values. I was impressed with this book, and plan to read it again with my children when they are a bit older.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

The title of the book itself is very appealing so is the story line. I think I will give it a go.

Return to “Historical Fiction”