Good Historical Fiction Books Anyone?

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Whovian_Horse_Lover
Bookshelf Size: 0

Good Historical Fiction Books Anyone?

Post by Whovian_Horse_Lover »

Hi guys, new member here!

First off, I just want to say if anyone wants to be friends I'm right here XD

Ok, down to business.

My father's birthday is coming up and he is a HUGE fan of Rosemary Sutcliff, a famous historical ficiton writer. So far he has about 5 of her works. I want to get him a present for his birthday and he wants a historical fiction book. It doesn't have to be Rosemary Sutcliff's books. Any historical fiction novel but preferably one that is ser in ancient Rome/Dark Ages.

If you know any good reads please tell me! Please include the book's TITLE, AUTHOR, and A BASIC PLOT

Thanks so much guys!
Sadie105
Currently Reading: Hawk of May
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Sadie105 »

I know this particular thread is probably long gone, but I'm SO excited to meet another Sutcliff fan! And hey... birthdays do come annually, so maybe you're still looking ;-)
My favorite Sutcliff book is "The Mark of the Horse Lord." This is a great novel of the clash between Rome and an indigenous British tribe. Missing heir, murder and betrayal, love and sacrifice. It's an amazing read.
Another author I'd recommend is Gillian Bradshaw. She writes in the same general period as Sutcliff. I love her books "The Sand Reckoner" about the life of Archimedes, "A Beacon at Alexandria" about a woman determined to become a medical doctor in ancient Rome, and her "Down the Long Wind" trilogy about King Arthur's loyal knight Sir Gawain (I've only read the first two in the trilogy).
Best of luck!

Return to “Historical Fiction”