Review of Historically Thinking

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Review of Historically Thinking

Post by Lucy Vera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Historically Thinking" by Mike Hillery.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Historically Thinking by Michael Hillery is a book that is both educational and an “appeal to ethos.” It gives the reader a guide on the tenets of history, how to understand the concept that is history, and also how various concepts and situations have affected history both in the positive and in the negative aspects of its study and understanding.

This book is like a beginner's guide to understanding history from a perspective that is akin to a detective's line of thinking. It is sort of like a walk-through one needs to go through if one wants to pick this as a course in higher education or has an interest in the topic. This book would put you through what you need to know as well as guide you and prevent rookie mistakes made by unsuspecting and less knowledgeable individuals. It also discusses the glaring problems that are affecting the subject and also how these problems are influencing the country. The author also discussed possible solutions to the problems and methods one should follow to avoid being influenced by the vices that affect history and the thinking involved.

One of the things I like about this book is that despite the various ways the writer would have started the book, he kept true to his love of history and his duty of disseminating knowledge about history by explaining what he believes is the proper way one should look at history as well as how various vices tend to shift one's perspective or skew a person's knowledge on history. This paves a path to what I believe is his main reason for writing this book.

Another thing I took note of in the book is that his love for his country is clearly shown in the way he wants to use his knowledge in a way to better an aspect that he thinks is lacking in his country. It might not seem much, but I applaud his devotion and patriotism. Also, the progression of the book was nicely done, as it allowed the reader to ease into the book.

The only thing I do not like about this book is that it has a limited range of targeted audiences. Though I believe that this was the author's intention in the beginning, I would love it if such knowledge is disseminated in a wider range instead of constricting its access.

Consequently, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. I believe it is a wonderful read and deserves full stars because of the favorable aspects I expressed above. The book is exceptionally well-edited and organized. It did not contain any errors. I recommend this book to lovers of knowledge and history and any other person who would like to venture into the circle of history.

Historically Thinking
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

I love educational and knowledgeable books. I can't wait to engage in this book. Thank you for your review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”