Review of Tour of Duty

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review of Tour of Duty

Post by Aisha Yakub »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tour of Duty" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Tour of Duty is a work of historical fiction. It begins in the year 1960. We see the arrival of a physician named Miles Ballard in France. Miles is to serve in the Air Force at US Air Station, Châteauroux. Ingrid Stern, the wife of Doctor Oliver Stern, welcomes Miles to France, and Oliver Stern becomes Miles' best friend. Miles, being a man of morals, faces challenges in the hospital he serves in. This brings hostility to Miles from his superior, and he is faced with two choices: to uphold his morals and ethics or to succumb to the corrupt leadership in the military.

Williams H. Coles created an outstanding work out of this novel. While reading the book, I was completely immersed in it, enjoying each chapter and desiring to know what happens next. The author's writing was easy to follow and intriguing. This book made me admire Miles a lot. He didn't only stand his ground, unlike the other doctors on the military base, but he upheld his morals and ethics and stuck to them.

Miles was selfless and was willing to improve medical practice in the hospital. I admired the fact that the author wrote about suicide. This book also talked about how some women were dismissed and had their voices silenced when they reported sexual assaults to the armed forces. This often led to loneliness and depression. I was pleased that the author used this book to shed some light on these issues. It was interesting to journey back in time. Very importantly, this book helped me to appreciate how far the world has gone. Many awful things which were not discarded early enough are now seen as being terrible.

Miles and Ingrid easily became my favorite characters. Ingrid was a loyal and kind person. I loved how Miles treated all his patients. Reading this book, I was reminded that a healthy relationship between a doctor and a patient could help accelerate the patient's recovery rate. Also, I loved the perspective from which the author discussed marriage in this book. Marriage is not always a bed of roses.

Looking at the lives of the characters in this book, I learned to stay strong and believe in my instincts. I couldn't find a negative aspect. This book was perfectly edited; there were no errors in it. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to readers who love reading historical romance books.

Tour of Duty
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Edet Joy
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edet-joy.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Edet Joy »

This is one of my favorite books I've read and I found it to be intriguing
Excelongee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Excelongee »

Tour of Duty" by William H. Coles is a powerful and moving novel that provides a stark and realistic portrayal of the Vietnam War. The author, a Vietnam veteran, draws on his own experiences to create a gripping and authentic depiction of the war and its impact on those who fought in it.

The novel is centered around two soldiers, and their experiences during the war. The author delves deep into the characters' thoughts, emotions, and relationships, making them feel like real people, rather than just fictional characters. The novel is not just a war story, but it also tells the story of the soldiers' struggles with their personal lives and the relationships they form with their fellow soldiers.

The writing is excellent, the author's style is engaging and easy to read, the pacing is perfect, and the story is both captivating and thought-provoking. It's a novel that will make you question your own perspective on war, humanity, and sacrifice. The book is a must-read for anyone interested in understanding the Vietnam War and its aftermath. It is a powerful, thought-provoking, and emotionally charged novel that is sure to stay with you long after you've finished reading it.
Ben Madeley
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

If you like this novel, then I recommend reading a lot more historical fiction, as there are many better books than this around.
Jaco Du Plooy
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaco-du-plooy.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Jaco Du Plooy »

Not my favourite I'm afraid. I find the story predictable. My choice for reading Tour of duty was the history part of it.I did get a good idea about living conditions in post war France. Well written review. People are different and their taste differ. I see that as the spice of live.

Return to “Historical Fiction”