Review of The Governor's Lover

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of The Governor's Lover

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Governor's Lover" by Roderic Grigson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This book is the story of the relationship between Lovinia, the lead dancer in her father's dance troupe, and the newly arrived governor, Sir Thomas Maitland. Bred in abject poverty in the colony, with only one source of income, Lovinia was faced with the option of trying to improve her standard of living for a staggering price. This option involved the act of seduction. She had to forge a relationship with the new governor, get in his good graces, and become a spy to the king of the Kandys. This relationship could change her fortune and that of the people she loved. Unfortunately, she fell for her handler, Kumara, who threatened her. She was torn between two very different lives and must choose to follow her heart or her head. Would this be a case of Stockholm syndrome? Would she be found out as a spy? What choices would she make?

The Governor's Lover by Roderic Grigson is a beautiful book set in the 18th century. It portrays a well-detailed world with part of its originality set in the modern world. The narrative touches on modern themes like racism, rape, drugs, industrialization, etc. Roderic also blends the mix well by adding themes of allegiance, loyalty, war, and a tale of love and lust. His world-building and character-building will enthrall the reader. The book is fast-paced and has a lot of action. It contains vividly described fight scenes that grab attention and timely dialogues that engage the reader. The story commences with an intriguing scene and steers rapidly into the plot, which is action-packed

The characters and their development were what I liked most about this book. Centered around three significant people, each protagonist's backstory and development were remarkably well-executed, well-crafted, well-paced, realistic, and captivating. All of the characters and their backstories made me connect with them.

One huge takeaway from the narrative was Lovinia's bravery and mental fortitude. Her character was enviable and inspirational. I would have readily forgiven her if she had broken down and given up, but she was a tenacious character. She did whatever she could to take care of the ones she loved, including endangering her life. Almost anyone would have given up under such circumstances, but she didn't. This tenacious virtue would inspire readers to go to any length to show love.

Lovinia was also witty, which spoke to her strength of character and self-belief. I also appreciated the bond between her and her friend, even though they couldn't have been more different from each other. Their mutual loyalty toward each other despite the age difference was refreshing.

I found nothing to dislike about The Governor's Lover; it was professionally edited. I'd rate it a 5 out of 5. I'd recommend it to individuals intrigued by conflictual romance. Sensitive readers should beware of the heavy erotic content.

The Governor's Lover
View: on Bookshelves
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I hope that Lovinia wasn't baited by her self-interest which led her to lose her loved ones. Her character sounds persevered and unstoppable. It caught my attention. Thanks for your catchy review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

This plot is indeed catchy and I'll love to read this book. Thank you for this beautiful review.
Oluwasegun Timothy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwaseguntimothy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Oluwasegun Timothy »

It takes a lot of strength to be willing to put yourself through danger just so you could get to live a better life. Lovina was a beautiful character to encounter, her tenacity immensely encourages and challenges at the same time.

Return to “Historical Fiction”