Review of Wild World

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cece Lu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cece-lu.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Review of Wild World

Post by Cece Lu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Steve Logan and his friends watched on television as campus demonstrations grew more intense after the National Guard shot and killed four students at Kent State University who were opposing the government's announcement to invade Cambodia. The elder generation considers them traitors for defying authority and finds their attitude disgusting. The pupils view law enforcement officials as foes because they use disproportionate force against citizens.

After graduating, Steve had intended to practice law, but these extreme occurrences, plus a chance encounter with a New York cop, made him re-evaluate his goals. He now thinks that becoming a police officer would give him a unique opportunity to change the system from within. He gives up on his original plan and joins the Providence Police Force. Additionally, he made this choice because he wanted to remain near his fiancée Roxy and because it would allow him to become the institution's unpopular hero. He was compelled to become a stranger in both worlds because his friends and coworkers did not support him. He risks losing everything he cares about due to this action, but he never wavers in his determination to make his mark. Later, he devises a plan that might completely alter the system and serve as a declaration to the lady he loves. But will he be likely to succeed?

The fascinating novel Wild World by Peter S. Rush explores the competing philosophies of people who favour and oppose war, good and evil, and loyalty and betrayal. The main issue of the book and its numerous sub-themes, such as activism, femininity, and love, which are essential in contemporary society, were excellently illustrated by the author. Characterisation was used to illustrate some of these concepts. For instance, Roxy, who was first depicted as a weak character, developed into a strong character who showed tremendous consciousness as an activist by participating in anti-war demonstrations, as well as a feminist with an independent mind and a strong desire to achieve her chosen field. Despite his weaknesses and the possibility of a business career, Steve decided to sail into uncharted waters to take on a system that tolerates cruelty and corruption. This cultivates bravery, fidelity, and selflessness. The "showing" in the book was another encouraging feature I appreciated. The novel's atmosphere and characters are vividly portrayed through a dialogue-driven plot that quickly shifts the reader's mood and point of view. Even though the story takes place in the 1970s, we occasionally watch similar violence of a similar scale occur live on television nowadays. Granted, it would be simple to see the police as the enemy after reading this book and considering some unpleasant incidents involving them. We must remember that they are also putting their lives in danger to keep our community safe. In any event, it's still a motivational tale, and that's what I loved the most.

The only aspect of the book I didn't enjoy was the adult scene because I think it was too graphic.

However,  the adult scenes in the book didn't disrupt my reading pace, and I didn't find any errors. I'll give this book a 5 out of 5 stars rating for its superb editing and refreshingly genuine material. I didn't find any errors in it.

College students, activists, politicians, and fans of thought-provoking historical fiction books should all read this book. 

Wild World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”