Do you like time-slip books?

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mewsmash
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mewsmash.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Re: Do you like time-slip books?

Post by mewsmash »

I've never enjoyed books with time travel as a primary theme. I feel there's so much room for historical error that I almost never read them.
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
Tevis Scout
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tevis-scout.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Tevis Scout »

Yes, I enjoy a well-done time-traveler book. Outlander and The Time-Travelers Wife are two excellent examples of this particular novel type. However, I have recently read quite a few (mostly by new authors) who either have not done enough research into the past to be believable, or rely too much on the time-traveling and do not pay enough attention to plot and character development.

Probably because I have always been intrigued by the thought of time travel, and imagining myself in other historical periods, I am always drawn to read this type of novel so it's a quick sell to me - LOL! However, for some reason, I have no desire to travel into the future - possibly because that is a complete unknown - whereas the past is somewhat knowable!

If you have read a great time-traveling book, please let me know! Thanks! --Tevis Scout
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

If they're done well, yes. As in, you can truly see the reason behind the time travel. Loved it in the Outlander series.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
ReadtoLive
Bookshelf Size: 531
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readtolive.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by ReadtoLive »

erine_sturdevant wrote:Love them! I'm a huge fan of Outlander and loved The Time Traveler's Wife. I would also recommend Kindred by Octavia Butler. The female lead is the one who time travels, more than just once, and the author does a great job of providing accurate information about the time period. Butler also does a great job at relating the complicated relationship between the main character and her husband and the circumstances they go through.
I really liked "Outlander" and "The Time Traveler's Wife" too. Thanks for the rec of "Kindred", I hadn't heard of that one and it sounds interesting.

-- 21 Apr 2017, 16:21 --
CLRogers90 wrote:I find it interesting that you specify the hero as a "heroine". In my experience it seems like males are, more often than not, playing the role of "time-hopper". With your examples, however, I can see why you would draw that conclusion.

To answer your question though: It honestly depends on the book. Some authors are better than others at making a "time-slip" interesting. On its face though, I do enjoy the very concept of time-traveling, regardless of the means. Stephen King's 11/22/63 is a more current book that uses this theme, and it is certainly on my reading list.

CR
I read "11/22/63" recently and really liked it, once I started I could hardly put it down. Really good story.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
CZCampbell
Currently Reading: Nighthawk: Sons of de Wolfe
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czcampbell.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CZCampbell »

Normally, these are not my cup of tea because they are just too fantastical and the characters can become extremely frustrating. Also, in almost every one of these, a beautiful woman has to teach a historical warrior how to use a car - it is played out. However, I recently finished For the Love of Suzanne by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill and highly recommend it. An abused woman, a half-breed white and Native American man, time travel back to 1860 Wild West - it has great action and romance. I gave it 4 out of 4 stars!
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
ChristyF
Currently Reading: Hearts In Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christyf.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Reading Device: B01LTIORC8

Post by ChristyF »

I love the Diana Gabaldon books. Outlander is fantastic and very well written. She grabs you from the beginning as you anxiously wait for the next book in the series. I think this is my all time favorite time travel series.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Angela Stripes »

Acwoolet wrote:I agree that if they're done well, then it's definitely fun to read them. I've read some that feel as if they're just trying to hard. I like when they're mixed with a fairy tale mash up too.
That's my sticky-point with them as well. I haven't read any, but seen a fair amount of time-slip movies. They seem cliche or geared toward a younger audience (which is fine). I really like the premise though, and would like to read some that are well-done. Maybe I'll check out some of the titles mentioned in this thread.

What would be really cool is if the story wasn't about learning anything about the problems going on in the life the character has left behind. It'd put a whole different spin/angle/attitude on the story. Kind of a POW feel? Just a thought.. :)
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
DanceRhythm
Currently Reading: Idiot
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancerhythm.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by DanceRhythm »

I love time-slip books! Of course, it has to be well done (like any other type of book). I love the different circumstances the characters have to face in our time and in the past. I greatly enjoyed Outlander, and I will definitely read some of the other titles mentioned in this thread.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
fengaraki77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fengaraki77.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by fengaraki77 »

Time travel is one of my favorite things. I love it in books. I have only read the first three books from the Outlander series and i loved them. 5/5 for all three.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
AngharadB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angharadb.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by AngharadB »

I love two very different time slip series - the first (as mentioned by many) the Outlander series and the second the Chronicles of St Marys by Jodi Taylor. These are so different and hilariously funny (although there are some very sobering bits). St Marys 'investigate major historical events in contemporary time'. Don't say time travel or the Director will most definitely be displeased. Max (a short, ginger historian) is the unlikely heroine of the series and you get to see life at St Marys as well as all over the globe at different times and during different events. I thoroughly recommend the series, which starts with Just One Damned Thing After Another. Similar to the Outlander series, there are lots of novellas that intersperse the bigger books too which are really well worth a look at.
EllieAfter
Currently Reading: The Atomic City Girls
Bookshelf Size: 1140
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by EllieAfter »

I very much enjoy time slip series and books. As many have mentioned, Outlander is a great series to read. I also enjoy Kate Morton's books; however those are not really considered "time slip" books but they do jump back and forth from one time to another and the story is always connected.

As far as The Time Traveler's Wife, let's just say that I did not see the appeal of that book at all. I could not enjoy it and wondered how it was so popular. Opinions vary, though.
sydney_alyssa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sydney_alyssa »

The only time slip book I’ve read is Kindred by Octavia Butler and I loved it a lot. It was very well written, kept me engaged & did an excellent job of making seem like I was ‘being called’ to the past with the main character and experiencing all they were experiencing
decafmama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-decafmama.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by decafmama »

The first couple of Outlander books were fantastic. I read books 1-4 in just a few weeks. After book five the series starts to slow down, I think.

Another fantastic and often overlooked time-slip book is Kate Atkinson's Life after Life. Talk about learning lessons from the past! This book is extremely rich in history and drama.
TristaZukoski
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TristaZukoski »

I'm just starting the fourth Outlander book and am thoroughly enjoying it.
Another book that had unique time travel is Mother of Learning, it's not historical fiction, however I really appreciated how the time travel was written. You can read it for free on RoyalRoad .com!
Ben Madeley
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

It's a fun way to make historical fiction feel relevant to thw present day but it takes a good author to manage to make this enjoyable and also believable at the same time.

Return to “Historical Fiction”