Review of Maquerade Ballgame

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Review of Maquerade Ballgame

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Maquerade Ballgame" by Dennis N. Ricci.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Amid the 1930s' turbulent political and economic problems, a young man with unwavering ambition stands out. Dennis N. Ricci's Masquerade Ballgame tells the story of Reuben "Ruby" Henry as a great baseball player in the 1930s, with a bittersweet story of hardships and triumphs. It tells the struggle of a baseball player in a society where the color of your skin is a subject of prejudice. A woman in the present named Willy Mae Beal is particularly captivated by Ruby's case. What does she have to do with Ruby?

Set during the Great Depression, this literary novel tells the story of a person of color beating the odds to forge a career in baseball. The book tackles some important historical issues, such as apartheid within organized baseball. Although the narrative is fictional, it's heartbreaking to think how many of the issues here were true for a lot of people before. In the story, Ruby had to use a made-up name so he could play in the big leagues because of racial segregation. Engaging in interracial relationships could get one in serious trouble as well. Much of the narrative is focused on the intricacies of baseball, but I like how it explores racism as the root of conflict among friends, players, and love interests. 

What I like the most about this book is how it ensures historical accuracy while maintaining an engrossing fictional story. There are a lot of intriguing conflicts to look out for. My favorite parts were those that explored the love affairs of the main characters. They were full of passion and drama. It's also interesting to see these narratives play out against the most important historical events in American society. I also like how the book teaches lessons about perseverance and ambition. It is inspiring to see how these characters continuously thrive despite facing numerous hurdles in life.

The storyline flows seamlessly despite following a rather unique technique of storytelling. The author's writing style is simple but engaging. The most touching moments in the characters' lives were written with the right degree of emotion, which I found satisfying. I can thereby say that I dislike nothing in this book.

I'm giving this book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. The narrative is engrossing, and it ensures that the historical events are accurately portrayed. I didn't find a single error, so the book must have excellent editing. The novel pretty much revolves around the game of baseball, so I feel like it will be greatly enjoyed by baseball enthusiasts. Moreover, if you like stories tackling historical events, you may want to give this book a try.

Maquerade Ballgame
View: on Bookshelves
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

I like that the author ensures that the historical events are accurately portrayed and the story of the protagonists is built around these events (and not the other way around).

Return to “Historical Fiction”