Review of Pericles and Aspasia

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Most Popular President Who Ever Lived (so far)
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Full Moon Saturday Night by Mark Barkawitz
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 119%

Review of Pericles and Aspasia

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pericles and Aspasia" by Yvonne Korshak.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Pericles and Aspasia: A Story of Ancient Greece by Yvonne Korshak is a historical fiction that takes the reader back to the ancient times of Greece, where Aspasia meets Pericles after she escapes pirates who want to sell her along with her father's scrolls in Athens. Aspasia and Pericles fall in love despite their relationship's many differences and obstacles. Aspasia is a foreigner without citizenship, and she is a prostitute. Pericles is married to Aristocleia and has two sons. Pericles had created a law that forbade citizens from marrying foreigners. This law leaves Aspasia wondering what her future in Athens will hold for her. The Spartan tyrant rebels against Athens's democracy, and Pericles goes to war. What will Pericles do about his love for Aspasia? Will the Athenians defeat the Spartans? Are the laws made for a community as a whole justified, or should they be changed?

Yvonne Korshak did an excellent job writing this story about the ancient times of Greece and the mythology surrounding the Gods. I have read a lot of Greek mythology, and I do not remember ever reading about Zeus giving birth to Athena through his head. The characteristics of the people and their impact on the world during the Golden Age, Silver Age, and Bronze Age were interesting to read. I appreciate that the author differentiated correspondence between the characters from the rest of the text using bold and italic print. As with much Greek mythology during ancient times, this story has an abundance of philosophical paradoxes. One example of a paradox that one philosopher pointed out to Pericles was that "you can almost always turn a loss into a win." My favorite life lesson in this book is "the man working only for himself is working against the rest." At the end of the book, you will find a list of characters, research sources, quotation sources, and a map of the 432 BC Greece and Aegean regions showing the influence of Athens and Sparta.

Although this is a long book, with 557 pages and many Greek terms, I disliked nothing about it. I am happy to see that a sequel to this book is coming soon. I will enjoy reading more about Pericles and Aspasia's fate.

This book has been professionally edited and has only two minor errors that a professional editor may have missed. The only rating this book deserves is 5 out of 5 stars. Nothing in this book warrants the deduction of a star.

Fans of Greek mythology, history, philosophy, and romance books are the ones I recommend this book to. Sensitive readers need to be cautioned about some gory content involving animal sacrifices, and there is minimal non-borderline profanity.

Pericles and Aspasia
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Mercy Sos
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos.html
Latest Review: Inspector Mage by Aleese Hughes
Reading Device: 1400697484
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by Mercy Sos »

Historical books have always been my favorite genre because I love to learn about other cultures. So I will definitely check this out. Thanks for the review
Yasmine M
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
2022 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Yasmine M »

The irony in Pericles making a Law that will go against what he wants most, his relationship with Aspacia. The book is quite long, more than 500 pages; I hope the story is captivating and enjoyable.
FunkyFlowerLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
2022 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

I love reading books where the narrative is set in ancient Greece and explores the Gods' mythology. Greek mythology is something I've read a lot, but I also don't recall ever reading about Zeus giving birth to Athena through his head. Great review!
The love of your life is 'YOU'

Return to “Historical Fiction”