Review of Mozart's Last Words

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
justhereader
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justhereader.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Review of Mozart's Last Words

Post by justhereader »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mozart's Last Words" by Roy Ziegler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

An American Vietnam War veteran lay sprawled on the floor of his condominium with a gunshot wound to his head and a firearm next to his body. At a glance, the case can be passed off as suicide. But determined investigators will say otherwise, for this case is linked to a much larger case involving the missing torn-off page from Mozart's Requiem. Will our detectives be able to retrieve this missing artifact?

Mozart's Last Words by Roy Ziegler is a crime thriller novel that follows the lives of officers involved in the pursuit of a missing artifact. The story is told from different perspectives but ultimately follows the life of Leopold, a police officer on the verge of retirement. What I like the most about this book is how well it utilizes the third-person perspective to add thrill and intrigue to the narrative. It shifts from one character to another, giving the reader full access to different angles on a certain situation. The shifting perspectives are not at all confusing.

The author provides adequate descriptions, especially for the parts that make you want to hold your breath while anticipating what's going to happen next. All the schemes are particularly engaging, provoking one's problem-solving skills. The author is skilled at providing enough room for anticipation, as each chapter ends with some elements in the story to look forward to. I also like how this book takes you to posh music concerts and art exhibits. Music or art enthusiasts might find the premise intriguing too.

The only thing I dislike about this book is the issue I often find in plot-driven books such as this one. The focus of the story is on the sequence of events and not so much on creating memorable characters. The characters' sentiments aren't explored deeply, making the characters feel flat and unappealing. Some scenes could've had more impact had the reader cared more about the characters.

Overall, I'm giving this book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. The author's writing is adequate, and the shifting perspectives in the story are satisfying. I have not found a single error, which led me to conclude that this book has excellent editing. I did not give a perfect rating because the characters weren't fleshed out enough for my liking. But it's a decent crime thriller story—one that fans of the genre will find worth reading. I also recommend this book to those who are interested in stories about detectives, crime syndicates, and missing artifacts. It is a relatively quick read, so if you're looking for a short book to kill the time, then this book might be for you.

Mozart's Last Words
View: on Bookshelves
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Mercy Sos
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos.html
Latest Review: Inspector Mage by Aleese Hughes
Reading Device: 1400697484
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by Mercy Sos »

I love it already and I can't wait to join the detectives to find Mozart's last word. Thanks for the review will be adding this book to my bookshelf.

Return to “Historical Fiction”