Review of ADAM

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BLESS_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bless.html
Latest Review: Fantah by Hadiza Bagudu

Review of ADAM

Post by BLESS_ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "ADAM" by Christopher Charlton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In 1912, the war between Russia, Japan, and Germany loomed. As the years rolled on, it became intense, thus, lingering till 1945. Hatred, prejudice, and segregation of the Jewish race under the Nazi government with Adolf Hitler as the head filled the air. It was in these times that Adam's family, like every other family, bore the brunt of the war. The name they had made for themselves in clothing was trampled upon; their assets were also liquidated during the industrial revolution that hit Germany, including other heinous atrocities. The book Adam: The Story of a German Jewish Family in the Time of the Weimar Republic by Christopher Charlton recounts the ugly aftermath of the war between Russia and the German government. Beclouded by anti-semitism and segregation, the Hitler thugs, SA, Gestapo, and SS are set to exterminate the Jews. But this won't be without consequences.

The author gives life to historical events through the characters of Otto, Fritz, Herbert, Gloebbels, Herr Himmler, Franz, Siegfried, and sundry. I love how the characters explicitly demonstrate what any individual or family will do during and after a war. Adam's family battled constant rejection, discrimination, uncertainty, and fear. However, they had times of love, happiness, and joy, but it was nowhere near the mental, physical and emotional pain they struggled with. Hitler's Nazi government wasn't helping; this government saw the "promulgation of new laws, forbidding marriages between Jews and Christians, including robbing Jews of their citizenship." Due to my keen interest in this singular subject, I choose this book to learn more about it. I need to see the notion behind Hitler's actions. Maybe history didn't explain clearly what transpired between the Jews and Hitler. This book threw more light on this.

I admired the character of Otto. Born almost blind from birth, he proves that he is never really 'blind' to the gimmicks of the Nazi government. He plays a part in digging up the truth behind every propaganda and fake concern the government shows to the people. His intellectual and eagle-eyed insight and foresight played a key role in Fritz Adam's and his family's lives. Also, Peter's character gets me loving on him. He takes after his father's dexterity, responsibility and uprightness. I was amazed that he chose to take the bull by the horn as he fought for freedom. It was beautiful!

Notwithstanding, I wouldn't say I liked that there is no glossary at the end of the book to search and better understand these German terms, phrases, and sentences the author used. It would have enhanced the understanding and assimilation of readers.

I'm not in doubt that the book was exceptionally well edited because I found no errors. Charlton explicitly narrates the happenings of the Second World War while spicing it up with love and suspense; hence, I would rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.

If you have a penchant for historical novels with a touch of love and suspense, then you need to read this book as soon as possible. This book would interest readers like me, who have long sought some explanation for historical facts of the German-Jewish documentary. After reading this book, I had to take an extra study on this issue.

ADAM
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Historical Fiction”