Review of Kuwômôyush - I Love You

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Monkey on a Turntable by Ken Keller

Review of Kuwômôyush - I Love You

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kuwômôyush - I Love You" by Christopher L Smith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kuwômôyush - I Love You by Christopher L Smith is the true life story of two wonderful people from different backgrounds, Rebecca and Francis. Rebecca is the daughter of an extraordinary man who also happens to be the sachem (leader) of his tribe, and Francis is a British lieutenant on a mission to Montauk, Rebecca's village. The arrival of the British caused war and turmoil among the thirteen tribes where they arrived. Wynandanch is a man who believes that war isn't the answer to settling scores because there are no winners in a war. The fought-over lands would be consumed in blood, and the resentments would last forever. Life was cut short too soon, and everyone was left with only pain and regret. One of the tribes sachem, considers his belief a sign of weakness and would do all that it takes to resist the British and punish Wynandanch. Find out in this book what happened between the British and the 13 tribes, and between Rebecca and Francis.

I enjoyed the way the author told this wonderful story. The story moved at a wonderful pace and was beautifully written. A true-life story could not have been described more beautifully. I fell in love with the story from the first page and wasn't disappointed until the last page. I like the personality of Wynandanch, and he is a noble character to learn from. His words are full of wisdom, and I believe that if we all view the world the way he does, we will all live happily together regardless of our backgrounds or personal differences. He was able to effect a great change, although this didn't come without some consequences. Reading this story is a great lesson on how being attentive and thinking deeply can avert a lot of things.

I also like how the author was able to show the similarity in cultural differences. The British had a court where they judged all misdeeds, and the tribe trusted their sachem to deliver judgment on all issues. Though in different settings, they both lead to one thing: upholding unity and ensuring balance. Rebecca and Francis are other characters that I enjoyed reading about. In the words of the author, "I realize that life doesn’t have to happen just one way—that it can be so vastly different and still meaningful and full of joy," and their story is indeed true to this word.

This book has nothing that I dislike about it. It is a story that is inspiring, full of wisdom, and that describes love, friendship, leadership, the father-daughter bond, and, more importantly, the beauty of a peaceful existence. I had a great time reading the book from page 1 to page 121.

I give this book a perfect rating of 5 out of 5 stars, because it is a beautiful story of past happenings that many can learn from. The book is professionally edited and written in clear language. I recommend this book to young adults, lovers of historical books, and everyone who enjoys reading beautifully written books.

Kuwômôyush - I Love You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Christieee
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christieee.html
Latest Review: Uninvited by Marjorie Bosworth

Post by Christieee »

War is never a good thing. I would love to see how Rebecca and Francis’ love would blossom in such turbulent times for both the tribes and foreigners. But I’d love to find out Rebecca’s tribal name since most Natives have indigenous names. Well done on the review.
Chiamaka Ogadimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-ogadimma.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
2022 Reading Goal: 10
2022 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Chiamaka Ogadimma »

Would love to know if their love stood the test of time. Your review of this book Is quite captivating. Good job with the review. Well done.
Do more, talk less. Never get mad at another man's success.
Adeolaoskydeelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeolaoskydeelight.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Adeolaoskydeelight »

Fascinating true life story, I hope Rebecca and Francis love had a positive influence on the war. Wonderful review.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stevenmusk »

this seems quite entertaining and alluring. stories on forbidden love always come with a different type of thrill and drama. great review.
Sugar Rush
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sugar-rush.html
Latest Review: Kitchen Science Experiments for Kids by ABC Press

Post by Sugar Rush »

Stevenmusk wrote: 13 Nov 2022, 18:05 this seems quite entertaining and alluring. stories on forbidden love always come with a different type of thrill and drama. great review.
I feel stories like this are now too cliche. Almost everyone or every book you pick these days are on forbidden love. Hopefully, Jessica and Her mans love survive the really trying test and times they would face.
Temi book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd Edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Temi book »

This is interesting. Just like how the main maje character sees it, war is never an answer. It’s only going to create devastating situations. I love the context of this.
Egbara_David
Currently Reading: Dying Well
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egbara-david.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Egbara_David »

The history of wreckage and trauma brought upon the world by war is yet to be accounted for fully. I would love to indulge myself in reading this novel. This review is a glimpse of the content of this novel. Nice review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”