The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JoMama123
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jomama123.html

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

Post by JoMama123 »

I have read a couple of Kate Morton's books and I love her writing style. We have many wonderful story-tellers these days, but Ms. Morton tells a compelling story with beautiful writing as well. This is a book that I read as part of a book group and it is incredibly told. The story opens with Laurel, a 16 year old girl, witnessing a shocking crime that challenges everything she knows about her family. Fast forward fifty years, Laurel and her family gather for their mother's 90th birthday and Laurel is trying to unravel the secrets of the past. The story is masterfully told by taking us back to WWII England where we first meet Dorothy, Laurel's mother, and learn about her experiences, as well as back to the present time with Laurel trying to piece everything together. Ms. Morton has a way of writing a historical fiction novel that also feels like you're reading a mystery.
Anja
Favorite Author: Too many great ones
Favorite Book: Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels
Currently Reading: Merivel by Rose Tremain
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anja.html

Post by Anja »

Thanks for the post, I haven't read Kate Morton but this sounds like something I would enjoy. Makes me think a bit of Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey, but I'm not sure I'd classify that one as historical fiction. Will venture a post elsewhere on the forum.
JoMama123

Post by JoMama123 »

I haven't read Elizabeth is Missing. I'll have to look into it.

I hope you'll like Kate Morton when you read her books. :)
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I have read three books by Kate Morton. In addition to reading The Secret Keeper, which I think was the best, I have also read The House At Riverton, and The Forgotten Garden.

Your description of The Secret Keeper was very good and no elaboraton on my part is necessary except to say that the ending was a MIND BLOWER.

With regard to the other two novels which I mention above: The Forgotten Garden deals with three generations of women, one of whom is trying to unravel the secret of why she was abandoned mysteriously on a warf in Australia when she was 4 years old. The House At Riverton is sort of an Upstairs / Downstairs novel about a very old woman who had witnessed the death of a member of a prominent English family many years before. The story is told in flashbacks to the past, when she was a young girl serving in the family as a domestic as she is interviewed for a movie about those past events. We learn that the story told in the novel is a reflection of her thoughts rather than what she actually relates to the interviewers.

Kate Morton is an exceptionally gifted mystery writer in my opinion and these novels were all a delight to read. I'm so glad to learn that someone else on these boards appreciates her work too.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
JoMama123

Post by JoMama123 »

The Forgotten Garden was the first book of hers that I read and I loved it. I still recommend it highly, but The Secret Keeper is my favorite. I agree about the end. Incredible! I read it for book club and had to text a friend and say, "What?!" Fantastic author. I'll for sure have to read more of her books.
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

I finished The Secret Keeper a few weeks ago and was stunned by the ending. Perhaps I am slow, but I did not see that coming. :) The Forgotten Garden was the first book of Kate Morton that I ever picked up, and I have been hooked on her books ever since. I have a copy of The House at Riverton on hold at my local library and am not-so-patiently waiting for its return so I can gobble it up. I am also very proud that I got my mom addicted to this wonderful author as well. We enjoy doing that to each other.
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

I just finished The Distant Hours by Morton and would rate it a 4! Cant wait to read more of her works.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Just got a text from my library that The Secret Keeper is ready for me to pick up .... :)
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
JoMama123

Post by JoMama123 »

Fran wrote:Just got a text from my library that The Secret Keeper is ready for me to pick up .... :)
Enjoy! (Let us know what you think when you're done!!) :D
debbiebee
Favorite Book: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by debbiebee »

I have just finished 'The Distant Hours'. She's a brillilantly atmospheric writer.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Ealasaid
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>

Post by Ealasaid »

I just finished The House at Riverton. I very much enjoyed it. However, I did not think it was as good as The Secret Keeper or The Forgotten Garden. I consider the latter two books excellent, whereas THAR was just very good.
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I agree with DATo - absolutely love all Kate Morton's books & I'm delighted to see on her website that her next book, The Lake House, is due for release in October. Something to look forward to as the wintery evenings set in! (Now aren't I the cheery sort?)

If I had to choose I would probably make The House at Riverton & The Distant Hours my joint absolute favourites but The Forgotten Garden &
The Secret Keeper would be very, very close behind.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Ealasaid

Post by Ealasaid »

I am so happy to hear another book is due out. The only book by Kate Morton I haven't read yet is The Distant Hours. I've been afraid to read it for fear that I will run out of KM books to read!

Fran, reading books on wintery nights sounds like paradise.......and we just began our summer season. :D
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
Eyre-thee-well
Favorite Author: Kate Morton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2881">Jane Eyre</a>
Currently Reading: Far From The Madding Crowd
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eyre-thee-well.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 4893

Post by Eyre-thee-well »

Kate Morton is my favorite contemporary author right now. Every novel just gets better and better. I was given a preview edition of The House at Riverton from my sister-in-law when she had bought a bunch of books at a garage sale. I decided to give it a try and was so glad I did. I have read all of her books and I agree that The Secret Keeper is her best yet. I'm excited for The Lake House in the fall but wonder if she can possibly top The Secret Keeper. But as she is such a fabulous storyteller, I'm sure I will enjoy it anyhow.
LADelgado
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladelgado.html
Latest Review: "Wake Up" by Claire Colley

Post by LADelgado »

I LOVE Kate Morton! Her style of setting up the story through several generations of women is awesome. I love reading about the strong women, about different paths, and about family intrigue and secrets. She reminds us that every family has skeletons and there's more to meet the eye in all people. I am always looking for her next novel! I also love the way she surprises us all at the end.
Latest Review: "Wake Up" by Claire Colley

Return to “Historical Fiction”