Review of Differences. A Novel

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Review of Differences. A Novel

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Differences. A Novel" by Nathan Mayer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Differences. A Novel by Nathan Mayer is a fascinating book that is centered around religious and political struggles in the 1800s, American history, and the Civil War. Mr. Louis Welland, who had been a captain in the Revolutionary army of 1848, was now moving to Claiborne County to be a surveyor. In Claiborne, Welland was introduced to the Goldmans, who are Jews, by Mr. Tourtelotte. Welland is warmly welcomed by the Goldmans. He was a German and also a Jew himself. Welland is soon carried away by the beauty of Antonia Godman, but an unfortunate event sends him running away from Claiborne. Shortly after, there is a civil war, and the lovers give their support to opposite sides.

This was a fascinating book. I did not know if I'd love it at first, but after the first chapter, I was totally engrossed in it. I loved the style of writing; the language was captivating. The love stories in the book were beautiful. I got lost in them. The author’s descriptions were clear, especially the description of the ladies. The author wanted readers to know how truly beautiful the ladies were, and I totally got it. Most of the characters were very relatable, especially Emma. I also enjoyed the humor in the book. Mr. Sharp made sure there was a lot to laugh at. The accounts of the Jews and their reservations about marrying Christians were quite interesting, and I loved just how it was handled.

There wasn’t much that I did not like about the book. I only felt like there were too many war stories that did not add more than just volume to the book, like all the drama on the way to visiting Tourtelotte during the war. I did not see why I was reading about their discussion since it didn’t add much value to the story. This, however, did not affect my interest in this book because their conversations were funny, but I didn’t think scenes like that were necessary. Apart from this, there was nothing else that raised my concern about this book.

My rating for this book is 4 out of 4 stars. This is because I was very happy to read this book. I felt like I had left my own world and was in America in the 1800s. I also loved that the characters were well developed. I liked the growth of Emma and Charles' characters. Their characters were transformed, and they became more mature in the story. I found no reason to not give this book a perfect rating. It was perfectly edited. I found no errors.

I would recommend this book to lovers of history. There are a lot of historical stories in this book, including stories of the emperor and also black people in America. The book covers a lot of areas, like slavery and politics, so I would also recommend it to readers who are interested in such areas. People who love reading war stories will also appreciate this book. The book also contains beautiful love stories, so people who are interested in the fight for love will like to read about the love triangles in this book.

Differences. A Novel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Natalie Sheph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-sheph.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Natalie Sheph »

I love historical novels, especially with love stories that keep the book from being dry and boring. I would love to read this book, thank you for this nice review.
Okorji98
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

Differences. A Novel by Nathan Mayer is a fascinating book that is centered around religious and political struggles in the 1800s, Great book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”