Review of Wild World

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Review of Wild World

Post by Cocobutta »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wild World begins frantically with Steve Logan, a young college student, witnessing the death of several students protesting the Vietnam War. The tension of the war and Steve’s determination to be a part of something big lead him to participate in several protests while heavily debating what he wants to do with his life. After listening to a talk about making a change, Steve quickly realizes that protesting the war was not helping to fix the problem within the society and decides to abandon his dream to be a lawyer and enroll in the police force. This decision leads him on a path that changes his life forever and alters his relationships in irreversible ways, especially with his friends and girlfriend, Roxy. Is a change in society worth all the sacrifices he would have to make? And if he finds the courage to make those sacrifices, will he survive it alive? Wild World follows Steve as he tries to answer these questions.

Wild World by Peter S. Rush is a very engaging historical fiction novel that follows the difficulties of youth and the struggle to survive against the harsh realities of life. The author explores themes of sexism, police brutality, corruption, and the dangers of codependency in this book. The book explored the importance of making decisions based on your dreams rather than the dreams of others. While reading this book, I found myself intrigued by the changes in the characters as they got older and matured. Steve’s determination to make a difference was also inspiring to read. The relationship between Steve and Roxy was engaging as it showed how resilient young love is despite changes.

One thing I had a problem with while reading this book was how scenes and conversations switched mid-text without any indication, which made it hard to identify who was speaking when several people were in one conversation. It also made the story difficult to follow in the beginning because I kept rereading to ensure I had not missed a scene. However, once I read further and knew each character well, I found it easier to follow and understand.

Wild World is a well-written book with a gripping plotline that touches on many issues we still deal with today. Despite the difficulty I initially had following the plot, I found the book engaging and the characters relatable, which is why I will be rating it a 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to lovers of historical fiction and coming-of-age stories. Due to the high level of profanity and explicit sexual content, I do not recommend it to underage readers.

Wild World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”