Review of The Viola Factor

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Silvo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvo.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Review of The Viola Factor

Post by Silvo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Viola Factor" by Sheridan Brown.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Viola Factor by Sheridan Brown is a fictional book based on actual events. The main character, Viola Knapp, combines her determination and strength to turn what were once seen as impossibilities into possibilities. The novel is written in the third person and takes place in the United States around the 18th century.

Before Viola's mother passed away, she had directed her to a tree where she had buried a treasure many years ago. Her mother told her to get an education and be a tough woman who understands what is fair and just. Viola had difficulties adjusting to life at Bennington Academy. The religious norms disagreed with what she was used to in her home; plus, she wasn't stable financially to cater to all her academic requirements. Luckily, she got teaching jobs, although they were not paying well. What annoyed Viola was how slaves were being treated inhumanely. Just as her mother advised her, Viola took the responsibility of fighting for the slaves' rights, not knowing she would impact the lives of many black people who would always be there for her in her weak moments.

I enjoyed the book's flow. I did not encounter any complications in the plot, and the events were orderly, making them enjoyable to read. I learned a little bit of history about the evolution of Vermont and other religious organizations such as the Episcopal Church. Additionally, the book has poetry and sub-stories that make reading it attractive. For instance, Herman tells Viola a story about a war between ants and worms, and there are also complete poems in the book.

Moreover, many of the topics discussed in the book are very impactful. The oppression of black people and women is one of the many issues that the book explores in depth, showing the steps taken in the fight against these issues and their results. When Mr. Pugh cuts Herman's finger because Viola has taught him how to read and write, Viola's desire to start her school to help slaves increases, and her move, in turn, affects her relationship with some of her family members. I liked Viola's fighting spirit. Despite hardships, she keeps on focusing on her goal. From a young girl in Arlington, Viola grows into a celebrated woman who has changed the lives of many.

I did not encounter any negative aspects in this book. Instead, it was flawless and exceptionally well edited. Therefore, I will rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Viola did not let anything stop her from doing the right thing, so I recommended the book to people who are fighting for a just society and need motivation.

The Viola Factor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Edit_or »

I love things being orderly and the review agrees to the events being organized. I’d love to add to my book shelf. Nice review. Thank you.
Silvo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvo.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Silvo »

Edit_or wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 14:13 I love things being orderly and the review agrees to the events being organized. I’d love to add to my book shelf. Nice review. Thank you.

Return to “Historical Fiction”