Review of Deceitful Survival

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
IconReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iconreviews.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of Deceitful Survival

Post by IconReviews »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Deceitful Survival" by LC Lee.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Growing up in a broken home can ruin your chances of living a happy life, even when you are older. Andree witnessed her father killing her mother and was forced to keep quiet about it. Years later, when her father died, she moved to a convent, became a nun, and devoted her life to the church. One day, she got a mission to help a priest on the island of Haiti. She was excited about this mission and imagined all the good things she could accomplish. Unfortunately, things did not go her way. There was a revolution on the island, and the church was targeted. Andree and the priest decided to abandon their roles to save their lives. After spending so much time together, they eventually fell in love. Will their love last or will their guilt at abandoning the church come between them?

The author presented a very plausible story in this book. Andree is a character you can't help but fall in love with. Her ignorance and innocence made her very vulnerable. I liked the fast-paced nature of this story. As we follow Andree and Rene's love, one can't help but wonder what will happen next. The book was in no way predictable, and I liked its suspenseful nature. The plot was supported by well-developed and relatable characters. The book contained themes such as love, rebellion and betrayal, which made the book hard to put down.

The only thing I did not like was that the narrative became a bit boring after Rene was arrested. That was the only unfavorable aspect I found. The book spans about two decades during the eighteenth century and the author stayed true to the era. I could imagine Andree wanting to know what her body looks like and not having a mirror to see for herself.

I found only two minor errors, which is a testament that the book was professionally edited. I take pleasure in rating it four out of four stars. I like the emotional rollercoaster that the author brought us on as we followed Andree. It was easy to feel sympathy for her.

Deceitful Survival LC Lee by was a short and interesting read. I would suggest it to people who like reading unorthodox love stories. Rene and Andree's love story warrants careful thinking. While reading I kept wondering if they made the right decision to be together. I would also recommend it to lovers of historical fiction, suspense, romance, and a bit of drama.

Deceitful Survival
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”