Review of Voice Of a Mummy

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SobiAnndy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sobianndy.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Review of Voice Of a Mummy

Post by SobiAnndy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Voice Of a Mummy" by Kay A. Oliver.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Archaeological findings, excavation and the discovery of bones and artefacts have always been one of my major interests. But when these findings become coated with mysteries, it's just very hard to resist the urge to read over and over again.

In Kate A. Oliver's Voice of a Mummy: Kailli Worthy, a renowned archaeologist discovers some bones which turned out to belong to the Queen Cleopatra Selene of ancient Egypt. On a certain day at work, Kailli is mystified when she returns to the lab room to find the bones she had left arranged carefully, disturbed with quite an amount of sand on the lab table with a drawing of an Owl and a reed on the sand. With the help of Carla, her team, and her husband, Kailli was able to interpret the mysterious symbol. Disturbed by her strange findings, Kailli goes to all lengths to get explanations. In no time Kailli was able to discover that the rest of two mummies in the palace of the gods has been disturbed when they excavated their bones, and since these mummies are tied to their remains, their souls remain in the museum where their remains are stored. In the meantime, these two mummies try relentlessly to communicate with Kailli. But these two mummies weren't alone, there was one more soul present and a community of ancient civilisation that must still be kept hidden from the outside world.

How will Kailli manage to honour the dead? What will happen to an ancient civilisation? And how long can Kailli be able to keep her discoveries a secret?

Voice of a Mummy recounts the busy, puzzle solving and romantic life lived by Kailli Worthy and her husband Derek Worthy. From the excavation of bones and speaking to mummies to tracking criminals and solving murder cases to a wonderful and intimate time together at home as a couple. The writer did a great job trying to blend her characters into reality, and at first, the reader would doubt if this book was ever a work of fiction. The Characters: Kailli Worthy an Archaeologist by profession is a smart, mischievous and adventurous woman, whose love and dedication to her job coupled with her amazing discoveries earned her a profound reputation. Derek Worthy, the Chief Police Officer of San Jose and Kailli's husband is a no-nonsense man, tactical in solving cases, skilled in interrogation and a great supporter of Kaili. And Doris Wolf an archaeologist also by profession, Kailli's best friend, confidant, and Partner in many of her discoveries. The combination of these three gave this book structure an intriguing effect.

Though I encountered a few typo errors, they were not enough to sway me from a well-written plot structure. The sequence of events, detailed discoveries, and mysteries put together got me glued to this book until I read the final page.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, because aside from the mysteries and adventures covered by this book, it was also informative and educative and is based on true events of archaeological findings of mummies, bones and artefacts adding to its charm, that if a sequel to this book were to be constructed, i would be glad to read on about Kailli's new findings.

I recommend this book to the general audience, with no age restrictions whatsoever. Also, young adults with a great interest in historical fiction would find this plot to be an interesting read.

Voice Of a Mummy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”