Review of Wild World

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anpin John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anpin-john.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Review of Wild World

Post by Anpin John »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wild World by Peter S. Rush follows the life of the protagonist, Steve, from his days as a student to the struggles he has to face in his new job. The story is set during the Vietnam War, when young men were posted for mandatory military service. Most young people protest against the war, which they feel is unnecessary. Steve is among those people that feel this way. His girlfriend, Roxy, is a spirit student at his university. They actively participate in protests. For the most part, Steve protests in order to stand by his girlfriend, and he desperately wants to protect her. He soon realises that protesting doesn't really make a change, and so he decides to take matters into his own hands and take action.

The story is extremely captivating and interesting. My favourite aspect of this book is that the protagonist and the majority of the main characters have great morals. They have clear ideas about what is right, and they're not afraid to stand up and fight for what they believe in. The energy of the characters is very contagious and makes the reader want to do good. The protagonist also struggles with doing the right thing, even though he knows what is right. There are many instances where Steve questions himself because of his inability to take action.

The story was well-paced, and the descriptions provided were perfect and not too lengthy. There are various characters in this book, and sometimes it can become difficult to keep track when there are so many characters. But this does not occur in this book. The author was able to provide behavioural differences for each of the characters.

I also really enjoyed the way the author depicted relationships in this book. He understands that people change with time and experience. This is incorporated into the protagonists' relationship. The reader is able to see how, even though change is inevitable, people can still find ways to stay together and support each other. It is also apparent that people can decide to overlook the mistakes of the other person in order to grow in their relationship.

There was nothing that I didn't like about this book. I rate it a 4 out of 4 stars as I found no grammatical errors or typos while reading. I strongly recommend this book to all young people, especially those that care about justice and human rights.

Wild World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”