Review of Wild World

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Danielle Briggs
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle-briggs.html
Latest Review: Moonlit Nights by Jacob Parr

Review of Wild World

Post by Danielle Briggs »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Kent State University shooting of four unarmed college students at a Vietnam War protest happened in the spring of 1970. At the time, Steve Logan was finishing his senior year at Brown University. Originally, Steve planned to attend law school at Georgetown in the fall, but he begins to wonder if he can be that far from his girlfriend, who still has two more years at Brown. In response to the war and the corruption within the government and police departments, Steve decides to push off law school and be an active part of change for the better. He decides to join the local police department to somehow be a change from within, but his mission is easier said than done.

What a great book! Wild World by Peter S. Rush will take you back in time and make you feel as if you are living in the 1970s right alongside the characters. Even though I have only learned about this era through history books, the vibrant, comprehensive writing style allowed me to feel fully immersed in that time period. The author was able to find the perfect balance of giving enough descriptions and details to give the reader a constant, clear picture in their head, but not so much that it was overwhelming. I liked the inclusion of chapter titles and that they introduced what would happen in the chapter. Reading each title got me excited to see how the chapter would play out and how the title would relate to the events in that chapter.

The only negative I had for this book was that I wished it was clearer when the story jumped forward. Many times, the story would go weeks or months forward between paragraphs with no warning, causing a little confusion for me. Including a clearer time setting in the beginning of the paragraph would have saved me a little confusion and allowed me to know exactly where we were in the plot.

I wholeheartedly give this book a 4 out of 4. I only had the one negative stated above, but it wasn’t hard to figure out where in the story we were at after reading the first couple sentences of the paragraph, so it didn’t take away from my enjoyment of the book. There were very few errors, and the writing style was wonderfully detailed, allowing the story to play out like a movie in my head.

I recommend this book to adults who enjoy fiction novels, especially those interested in historical fiction. There is quite a bit of profanity and some sexual scenes, so younger readers may need to avoid reading this one. There is also a little violence, so sensitive readers may not enjoy reading those sections, but they are not detailed enough for me to suggest avoiding the book altogether.

Wild World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ilze Herholdt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Salt of the Earth
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilze-herholdt.html
Latest Review: Healing Wounds of the Soul by Elizabeth Campos

Post by Ilze Herholdt »

Wild World" by Peter S. Rush is the story about war protect triggered by the police shooting on a peaceful demonstration at Kent State University in Ohio, killing four students and injuring nine others. I love the main character Steve for his compassion to do the right thing.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”