Review of Skull's Vengeance

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Review of Skull's Vengeance

Post by Praise GodWord »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Skull's Vengeance" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Southeast Britannia, the Cantiaci Kingdom was ruled by King Marrock, who had slaughtered his father and his entire household to claim the throne for himself. He trapped their souls in their skulls, fortifying himself with dark magic. His father, King Amren, was cursed by Marrock's mother, Rhan, an evil druidess who foretold his doom. This curse was etched in a dagger hidden in a rock. And the only person who had the power to wield this dagger and overthrow Marrock was Catrin, his half-sister, who could access the power of the ancient druids. With the call of destiny upon her, Catrin sets out to be reunited with her Roman husband, Marcellus. A marriage that was considered an abomination in the eyes of the Romans.

On the other hand, Marcellus was torn between his love for Catrin and his loyalty to his family's legacy. Hunted by a monstrous half-brother and dangerous Romans, would Catrin succeed in fulfilling her destiny to rule as the Cantiaci queen? And would the forbidden love between her and Marcellus blossom or cause their doom?

Skull's Vengeance by Linnea Tanner is a fictional blend of recorded historical events between ancient Britannia and Rome. Although fictional, some Celtic characters in the book were nonfiction. Cunobelin and the king of Catuvellauni are good examples. This was mentioned in the concluding part of this book. The creative blend of this fictional writing and the historical records made it an epic novel. I liked this about the book. Also, despite being a fourth part of the author's previous series, Skull's Vengeance is an evocative book. Scenes from the previous series were repeated in the book to help readers understand. I fully understand the book's content even without reading the previous series.

The expressive romance between Marcellus and Catrin was the perfect thrill of this story. Their forbidden love as a Roman and Barbarian threatened to drain all their life's essence. As the hater, Marcellus's half-brother, Brutius, was a good fit for this book. The author perfectly weaved other obstacles like Marcellus's betrothal and his father's political ambitions to create an engaging plot. This did not eliminate the attacks that arose from Catrin's hideous brother. Generally, this book was thrilling all through my reading process.

Furthermore, I enjoyed the descriptive features of the Roman and Celtic political backgrounds. This novel was written relative to the rule of Emperor Tiberius Ceasar. The norm of slave trading and child molestation was a well-discussed subject in this book. Even Catrin served as a Roman slave and as a gladiator. The druids' magic in the book described the ancient Celtic traditions. I loved the complexity of the intertwined territories. The author's connectivity to these historical events is very intriguing. She also aims to write “a separate, stand-alone historical fiction novel that highlights the fall of Sejanus–a Roman official through the perspective of Marcellus."

My rating of this exceptionally well-written book is 4 out of 4 stars. Although I noticed some errors while reading, I still find the editing of this book good. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy romantic stories. But some of the discussions in this book may not be suitable for young readers. There is absolutely nothing negative I found in the book.

Skull's Vengeance
View: on Bookshelves
Jesse hegedio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jesse hegedio »

Marrock seemed to want to be in control but was soon over powered by the only thing that could defeat Marrock was Catrin but even the closest of kin must sometimes come within our hearts
Faith Yap
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Faith Yap »

5 out of 5 star is my ratings for this wonderfully written book. Although there's some errors, but still it's a good romantic adventure book to read.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

This sounds like a very dark book. I'm very interested in the way the author blend the real with fiction like you mentioned. I really appreciate when a story is able to do that well. Great review.
it is what it is ....
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

A historical fiction with a touch of romance sounds engaging.
Great review.
Marjenmom17
Favorite Book: The Traitor's Kiss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marjenmom17.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Marjenmom17 »

This book sounds like one I would enjoy. I am interested in finding the other books in the series so I would be better prepared when reading. Your review makes me very curious about the world the author built with the blend of fictional and historical details. And I'm a sucker for a good romance.
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

I like the storyline of the plot and the fact that you were able to understand it even without reading the other series.
Nice review.
Valeria Rotaru
Currently Reading: Of Human Bondage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-rotaru.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valeria Rotaru »

I am not really a big fun of the plot. Although, great job on the review. I feel like the whole storyline has way too many curses. I guess I don't like sci-fi.
Radhika Nair
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-nair.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Radhika Nair »

Historical backdrop, court intrigue, family drama, magic, action, a difficult romance...with all these elements used well, it's no wonder you gave the book a perfect rating. Thanks for this exciting review.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

Skull's Vengeance by Linnea Tanner seems to be an interesting story about a lady, Catrin, who wishes to rescue Cantiaci Kingdom from the hand of a bad ruler, King Marrock. I am reading to know if Catrin succeeded in her quest.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

This romance story centers on forbidden love. It seems that Catrin and Marcellus must face many obstacles for their love to blossom. Mainly, she must find a way to overthrow the evil King Marrock, her half-brother. I find the fictional mix of historical events framed in a love story interesting.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Congrats on BOTD. Those who are interested in ancient Britannia and Rome will love this fantasy novel.
Samuel Onowhakpor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-onowhakpor.html
Latest Review: Seeker: A Sea Odyssey by Rita Pomade

Post by Samuel Onowhakpor »

The author expertly weaves historical fictional and nonfictional elements in this thrilling installment of a series that can be read as a standalone. I am thrilled to witness how the love between Catrin and Marcellus will bloom in such an atmosphere of hate and disdain. A well-deserved BOTD and a good review.
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

Marrock seems like a tyrant who would do anything for the throne. I would definitely read this book so I can find out if Catrin conquered Marrock and became queen of Cantiaci and if love prevailed in the case of herself and her and lover Marcellus. I really enjoyed your review, it gave this amazing impression about the book.
Congratulations to the author on BOTD.
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

Marrock seems like a tyrant who would do anything for the throne. I would definitely read this book so I can find out if Catrin conquered Marrock and became queen of Cantiaci and if love prevailed in the case of herself and her and lover Marcellus. I really enjoyed your review, it gave this amazing impression about the book.
Congratulations to the author on BOTD.

Return to “Historical Fiction”