Review of What Would The Founding Fathers Tell Us Today?

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JonesLeeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonesleeh.html
Latest Review: What Would The Founding Fathers Tell Us Today? by Werner Neff

Review of What Would The Founding Fathers Tell Us Today?

Post by JonesLeeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What Would The Founding Fathers Tell Us Today?" by Werner Neff.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The 18th century was presumably the most revolutionary time for America because it was formed then. A group of brave and wise men, the Founding Fathers, came together with a collective goal of making the United States independent from its colony, Great Britain. But it would not be as easy as it seems. The British were unwilling to relinquish the American territory.

Only after unequivocal and firm stands did the Founding Fathers liberate America from its colony. That was only the beginning. They had to form a set of rules, the first constitution and then a second, to ensure proper governing of the country. In modern America, things have changed. Contemporary leaders are corrupt and racist. Plus, the democracy the Founding Fathers fought hard for is no longer there. Americans are struggling economically, and the gap between the rich and poor is undeniable.

Werner Neff echoes the noble works of the Founding Fathers and compares them to modern-day America. The height of racial prejudice has hiked to the extent of the founding of the Black Lives Matter movement. People of color are massacred by police officers mercilessly. Why the sudden negative changes?

While the discussions are political, the author added some humor. I chuckled at the dialogues between Alexander Hamilton and John Adams. James Madison was not left behind because his sarcastic comments were hilarious. I enjoyed that.

The dialogues happened in the 18th century, yet the author causes them to appear as contemporary as possible. In addition, the vivid descriptions were remarkably presented. I could generate an image of the Founding Fathers drinking some gin and smoking cigars around a fireplace. Again, I loved that.

Political parties have separated people in contemporary America. Supporters of a specific alliance have conflicts of interest with members of another political party. The division among people is still soaring, something the Founding Fathers fought so hard to avoid.

What Would The Founding Fathers Tell Us Today? by Werner Neff is well edited because I found one error. The history lessons I absorbed were immense. In addition, I detected nothing to dislike. Thus, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. The book moves swiftly from 18th-century politics to the modern day involving Obama and Trump. There is a comparison between the founding administrations and the contemporary ones. The notable similarity between both remains the issue of racism. Can it be fully resolved? I recommend the work to lovers of American Politics.

What Would The Founding Fathers Tell Us Today?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: The Insect House by Shirley Day

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

I am not really fond of American politics it histories, but this book seems educational and interesting. I would read it when I am less busy. Thank you for this review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”