Review of The Fighting Ibex

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Everydayadventure15
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading: Hunter: A Thomas Hunter Novel
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-everydayadventure15.html
Latest Review: Sub Rosa by Auden Llyr
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 94%

Review of The Fighting Ibex

Post by Everydayadventure15 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Fighting Ibex" by Leo Peterson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Swept up in what she thought was a match made in heaven, Victoria Shannon never expected her world to come crashing down with the devastating truth: her fiancé’s proposal was a lie. Strengthened by her inner character and the opportunity to enjoy a few luxuries at the Miramonte Hotel in Cortina, Italy, Victoria makes the best of her embarrassing situation. But what started in tragedy promises an even brighter future when Captain John Gillespie enters the picture.

The handsome Army Ranger is also a victim of heartbreak and carries his pain hidden beneath his tough exterior. Still, the raging blizzard outside and the warm company of close friends have a way of bonding kindred spirits. As Victoria and Johnny have a chance to get to know each other, she begins to wonder if the feelings they share are love or lust. Before she can decide, Johnny is called to duty to take down the remnants of enemies left behind by World War II. With the Cold War knocking on the door, what future lies in wait for the fledgling couple in January of 1955? Read The Fighting Ibex by Leo Peterson to discover the answer.

I loved Peterson’s engaging approach to historical fiction! The author exceeded my expectations, creating a dynamic cast of characters and complex situations that kept this reader riveted. I highly enjoyed the relationships that developed among the various characters. The author established a theme of looking beyond the surface of a person to discover the heart within. Many of the vibrant characters in this novel held a host of secrets under the surface, and I loved learning who they were and empathizing with the pain they felt. The revelation of the human qualities of each character made them more realistic. I loved how the book captured the essence of the brotherly bonds and how war tests loyalties and brings unlikely heroes together in unbreakable alliances.

I also appreciated the author’s easy-to-understand writing style. Peterson incorporated many societal situations, revealing the political undercurrent of the time without allowing the writing to become dull, dry, and cumbersome. I liked that his novel focused on the relationships between the characters and added historical information as necessary to enhance the scene, rather than drown the reader in a long exposition that slowed down the pacing and made the book feel more like a nonfiction narrative. The story remained riveting, keeping me guessing and wondering how all the complications would affect Victoria and Johnny in the end. I also loved how the author got me attached to the many minor characters! Each played simple roles but felt like friends and family by the end.

I look forward to continuing this series because the author made me feel so invested in the characters that I can’t wait to see what’s next for them! There was nothing that I disliked about the story. Unfortunately, I did come across several lingering proofreading errors. While these errors did not detract much from my enjoyment of the novel, I had to reduce the rating by one star. Therefore, I give The Fighting Ibex three out of four stars.

I recommend this historical fiction novel to readers who enjoy steamy romance stories and endearing characters. This novel contains non-borderline swearing, moderately erotic content, and mentions several abusive situations. While this book is the first in the Cold War Series, readers can enjoy it as a novel with a satisfying conclusive ending and promises of more exciting things to come!

The Fighting Ibex
View: on Bookshelves
Latest Review: Sub Rosa by Auden Llyr
ExcellenceAwuzie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by ExcellenceAwuzie »

This book is very intriguing.
I can't wait to read it too.
Wonderful review.
Vanessa Aikhomu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessa-aikhomu.html
Latest Review: Prosperity Gospel by Roger Smalling

Post by Vanessa Aikhomu »

Great review. I haven't even read the book and I'm already interested in the characters. So I'll just go ahead and read it, seems like a really good book.
Sandy Maxey
Currently Reading: The Lost and Found Bookshop
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandy-maxey.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Sandy Maxey »

Thanks for the great review. Looking forward to getting to know Johnny and Victoria as you did. I wasn’t going to read it until I read your glowing review.
readinginahammock
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd edition
Bookshelf Size: 21
2022 Reading Goal: 83
2022 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by readinginahammock »

The cover is so minimal, yet evocative, and by your review it seems like the book follows suit. Good stuff. :)

Return to “Historical Fiction”