Review of Killing Abel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Neha Zala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-zala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of Killing Abel

Post by Neha Zala »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

People of various backgrounds have always been fascinated with the beginnings of humanity. However, little is known about the actual circumstances that brought it about. In his book Killing Abel, Michael Teimen makes an effort to succinctly answer this nagging query. Using historical fiction, the author relates the tale of humanity's beginnings. The book opens with the timeless tale of Adam and Eve and closes many glaring gaps. The plot details all the spectacular events that happened between Noah's Ark and Lucifer's deception, which marked the start of the first sin in human history.

The author writes with the utmost clarity and simplicity, leaving no possibility for misunderstanding. I like how the author was able to adequately describe the viewpoints of each character and explain why their decisions and the results, despite initially seeming immoral, were necessary and meant to be. The author brought the characters and the plot to life, and the story is presented with such clarity that it becomes simple to visualise and envision even the complex events taking place in some of the chapters.

I couldn't find a single mistake in this book. This book was wonderful for me from start to finish. However, I would have preferred it if the author had maintained the plot following the chapter's final incidents, as the end seemed a little abrupt. The first half of the book takes a bit to get started because the author wanted to establish a strong foundation for the story, which I believed was crucial for the chapters that followed. Even though the second half of the story progressed swiftly, it was equally enthralling. Even though characters with the same name are featured in two different scenarios at the same time, the author's writing style makes it easy to follow the entire plot.

I have never read a historical fiction novel with a story as exquisitely woven as this one. Each figure was crafted with such care that they each had their own heart and soul. The absence of grammatical errors that I have found leads me to believe that this book was professionally edited. I'm happy to give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Anyone who enjoys historical fiction and is intrigued by the beginnings of humanity and their earliest ways of existence from a biblical perspective should read this book, which I would recommend to anyone in their teens or older. That said, readers need to be aware of the fact that the book contains borderline gory content

Killing Abel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
G D H
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Americanah
Currently Reading: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-d-h.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by G D H »

You lay emphasis on one point not many write about: the simplicity of Tieman’s writing. At some points, I found issue with it; at others, I had to admit that it was helpful. The author was trying to do a lot with his book, as such, he could not allow for the misunderstanding of any point he has to make.

I agree with you that this novel offers an exquisite read. But maybe we could separate Christian historical fiction from other historical fiction, because if you ask me, I would tell you that ‘The Fox’ by M. N. J. Butler is my all-time favourite in the historical fiction genre. :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”