Review of Bird in a Snare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jrbrady
Currently Reading: Total Truth
Bookshelf Size: 802
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jrbrady.html
Latest Review: Bird in a Snare by N.L. Holmes

Review of Bird in a Snare

Post by jrbrady »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bird in a Snare" by N.L. Holmes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bird in a Snare by N.L. Holmes is the first installment in the Lord Hani Mystery Series. The events in the book take place against the magnificent backdrop of ancient Egypt. Hani is a loyal emissary serving Akhenaten, the Pharoah of the two kingdoms. He is a seasoned diplomat, respected family man, bird lover, and writer of maxims. When Akhenaten’s rise to power heralds a drastic change in Egyptian religion and society, Hani and his family find their loyalties divided. He is sent to investigate the murder of a notorious Kharu highwayman but finds more questions than answers. Hani and his scribal assistant Maya quickly find themselves mired in political intrigue that endangers their career and family.

I devour any engaging Egyptian- themed stories, and this one did not disappoint! The historical notes and character list at the beginning of the book are helpful. I relied on the character list because the Egyptian names are complicated. The author explained that Hani's character was inspired by a real Egyptian emissary! Akhenaten’s reign was a controversial time in Egypt’s history, so it was fascinating to experience those societal changes from the perspective of Hani and his family. I enjoyed reading a story where the protagonist is a settled middle-aged man. It was a nice respite from an excess of coming-of-age stories. I loved that this novel is character driven rather than action-packed. Hani’s love of birds was woven throughout the story and cleverly ties into the book title.

My quibble about this story is that the murder mystery is not compelling. I understand that investigations during this historical period are severely limited. It made more sense for me to appreciate it as a drama or historical political thriller. Once the murder was solved, I realized I was no longer invested in the outcome. It was distracting when the author inconsistently shortened the complicated character names. There are two jarring incidences of profanity. I point this out not because cursing is unacceptable but because it was awkward timing for the character to use it.

I rate this novel 3 out of 4 stars. It was exceptionally well-edited and enjoyable to read! The middle of the story lacks plot momentum, but the loveable characters carried me through to the climax. The author is a seasoned archaeologist whose knowledge and experience add compelling richness to her story. I will read the other books in this series to follow up with Hani and his family!

I recommend this novel to an older teen or adult audience. The language and sensitive themes make it inappropriate for younger audiences. Although not explicitly depicted, the villain sexually exploits children. A lover of ancient Egypt will enjoy this adventure!

Bird in a Snare
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”