Review of The Bridge

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anpin John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anpin-john.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Review of The Bridge

Post by Anpin John »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Bridge" by Andrew Palmer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Bridge by Andrew Palmer retells the ‘Quebec Disaster’ incident using a fictional approach. The story outlines the events through the eyes of two engineering students, Ben and Esther. These two students are forced to partner up for their final assignment for their Ethics class. The easy-going nature exhibited by Ben irritates Esther, who is highly studious.

Even though she isn’t happy to partner with him, she accepts that there is no other way. Once they begin to work together on the assignment, they begin to enjoy each other’s company while getting work done. They begin to learn more about the legacy of the Iron Ring. Several revelations become obstacles and their compatibility is questioned. The ethical growth of the protagonists can be identified. There is a perfect amount of romance added to the mixture. This makes the book all the more enjoyable.

The book is a well-paced story that engages the reader’s interest. It was described as a coming of age story which is also true. The story has a constant flow which plays an important role in keeping the reader engaged. I thoroughly enjoyed the well-thought-out manner in which the story was written. The author did a great job of telling the story simply, such that the reader can form a connection with the protagonists. Since the reader feels connected to the protagonists, they become invested in how the story pans out. Another aspect of the book that I enjoyed was the subtlety and mutual respect portrayed by Ben and Esther when a small romantic spark grew between them. Even though Ben never had a good example of what a family should be, we can see from the epilogue that he strives to raise a happy family. Most of the relationships portrayed in this book are so well written.

The legacy of the Iron Ring touches even the hardest heart. Being an engineering student myself, I would like to say that the book greatly impacted me ethically and served as entertainment. The story makes the reader question the various established traditions and their origin. There was nothing that I disliked about this book other than that it was too short.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, as I found no major grammatical errors or typos while reading this book. I strongly recommend this book to all new engineers and those who aspire to become engineers.

The Bridge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”