Review of Wog in a fish shop

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Ember by Audra M. Davidson

Review of Wog in a fish shop

Post by Emily_Jen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wog in a fish shop" by Ross Leondiou.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wog in a Fish Shop is Ross Leondiou's reflection of what it was to be him, a Greek boy raised in an Australian suburb in the 60s. Through this book, the author intends to show how good it is to be living in the present. He talks about his early childhood and various events surrounding it during the 1960s.

The author began by describing a series of events that led to the birth of their fish shop. Ross then takes readers through some of the events that constitute his growing-up memories. The events described in the publication include his money-making escapades with his friends in primary school and his incinerator activities with his playmates. We also learn about how the author and the Greek-Australian community prepared for the Cuban missile crisis of 1962. Readers would also read about how he shot his neighbor on his forehead just before he became a teenager, how his mother tried to set him up with a girl, and the story in between.

Did you know that back in the 60s in Australia, a certain man was not arrested after crashing into public property? They said it wasn’t his fault since he was drunk while driving. Isn’t that the funniest thing you’ve read today? I had a lot of good laughs while reading this book because the book had numerous stories that I found funny and refreshing. I also like that the author combined the first-person and third-person narrative styles to tell his story. He also fleshed out the events he described using reported speeches. As a result, I felt like I was there in person, experiencing each event.

I also like how the author started the book by providing the meanings of several Greek words. As a result, I didn’t feel lost when I confronted them later in the text. Even when I encountered Greek phrases that weren’t included on that page, Ross did well to provide the translations immediately after them. Another thing I like about the publication is that I learned a few things from it. For example, I learned the origin of the word “masticate.”

However, I didn’t like that the author didn’t attach any year to most of the events he narrated. Yes, I know that most of the events the author narrated happened in the 60s, but it would be nice to know exactly what year they took place. That way, I would be able to tell exactly how old the author was when they happened and decide whether or not his actions at the time were in line with his age.

Another aspect of the publication that needs improvement is the editing. I found up to ten errors throughout the text, which makes me believe that the book isn’t professionally edited. I rate this publication 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted one star because of the errors I found. The book doesn’t deserve any less than three stars because it is well written, and I enjoyed it. I don’t think the other negative point I explained is enough reason to deduct another star. I recommend this edition to people that love reading books about history. Readers that like to read about other people’s experiences would also enjoy this read. This book contains the use of profane words and racial slurs, so sensitive readers should steer clear.

Wog in a fish shop
View: on Bookshelves
Richard Azubike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-azubike.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Richard Azubike »

I love the way you summarize the book and your opinion about the book also. You gave the book a perfect rating. Nice
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

This book looks interesting. I'm not familiar with Australian history, so it sounds great to read about it. Great review.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Living in Color by Mike Murphy
fav_author_id: 3039
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 110%

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

The cover look pretty much like that of a childrens book. Of course, if it contains a lot of profanities its not apt for young people.
Collins Kiprono 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collins-kiprono-4.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin
2022 Reading Goal: 120
2022 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Collins Kiprono 4 »

Because I had no clue what a "wog" was, the title of this book piqued my interest.
Ezidimma 01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Seeing with Fresh Eyes by John W. Bullock

Post by Ezidimma 01 »

I didn't find the book interesting, it's cover page looks like a children's book. Great review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”