Review of The 13th of Summer

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review of The 13th of Summer

Post by Walter R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The 13th of Summer" by C.L. Pratt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

C.L. Pratt's fictional characters are physically set in Prairie, a predominantly agricultural town in South Dakota, America. The period of events varies from summer to winter seasons, as well as the period of World War II with the Japanese. The 13th of Summer is a book of fiction that mirrors the lives of local folks who go through life, enduring hardships. They live in abject poverty, famine, drought, and harsh weather conditions. They, however, try to survive all through closely knitted communal relationships and genuine love interests. The community folks and main characters, especially Betty Peterson, Lloyd Bader, and Thurber Foley, dream and hope for better lives ahead and work towards it. Will they eventually live fulfilled lives free from hardships as they so desire? This is a book that will keep readers glued to the end and overwhelmed with emotional rollercoasters as they empathize with the characters.

The admirable community relationships that exist among these simple and local folks are one of the numerous qualities which I love about The 13th of Summer. The love they show one another serves as a relief from the harsh living conditions they are born into and forced to face. Readers get to see how as a community, they stand up for one another, for instance, in the cases of securing the Foleys' homestead from being auctioned off and sympathizing with the Petersons during the death of Fredrick, Willow, and Christian Peterson. This quality teaches one how to show love to others and stand up for them in times of need.

Another positive aspect of this book is how the author creatively uses the ever-changing weather to set the mood of the story, from the beginning to the end. The division of the plot into three parts helps to separate one weather season from another. The harsh weather conditions brought about gloomy times and periods of mourning.

The book is also educating, as events obtainable from World War II, which occurred in the 1940s, are highlighted through the character of Johnny. Using his character, Pratt hints at how sailors and soldiers of the U.S. Armed Forces were trained, and some of them had died defending the country from Japanese attacks. I will have to add that this book is therapeutic. The light humor and the subtle romantic undertones existent in the story between Betty and Lloyd, Willow and Johnny can strongly appeal to the emotions of the readers in a heartwarming way.

Then, the narrative and descriptive skills of the writer in relating the plights which these folks undergo are able to make one feel their plights and genuinely empathize with them. Lastly, the existence of just three errors made the book easier to comprehend. I hereby give The 13th of Summer a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I don't find anything negative about this book. I recommend this book to readers interested in books that emphasize genuine communal relationships and love interests.

The 13th of Summer
View: on Bookshelves
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Waliyat_24 »

No one should settle for less. It’s great of them to think beyond their present situation. Great review!
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

Trying to leave your stagnant position is first step to success. I would really like to know more about their success journey.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Good review! I like the idea of community members helping each other when faced with harsh conditions. This is an important concept for us today.
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

Helping one another is very good because there is a saying that we raise by lifting others. I love how the author discussed that in this book.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

I like the title of the book, and the cover also. Sounds a bit like a romantic story in rural America during WWII. Good review.
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

I have not read the book but I would like to read it. Thank you for taking your time to write a review about the book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”