Review of Loving Leopold

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Currently Reading: Not Angels or Demons
Bookshelf Size: 478
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Conceptus by Brian Herskowitz
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 73%

Review of Loving Leopold

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Loving Leopold" by Diane Coia Ramsay.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Loving Leopold: Amour Toujours, the final book in the Loving Leopold trilogy by Diane Coia Ramsay, continues the story about Amalie and Leopold Blakeley. It has been six years since their marriage, and they now have two children, Leon and Cosette. Amalie is jealous of Leopold's love for Cosette, feels neglected by him, and is curious about his family's history of madness. Leopold is ashamed of his family's past and feels undeserving of his beautiful wife. Unbeknownst to Leopold, Amalie has invited their extended family and friends to Blakefield Castle for the summer. At the last minute, before returning to the castle for the summer, Amalie decides to invite Imogen Armstrong, who has volunteered to do her portrait for free as long as she poses nude for it. Will being surrounded by so many people help their relationship? Will Amalie and Leopold learn to trust and have faith in each other? Will Leopold approve of Amalie posing naked for a portrait?

Diane Coia Ramsay did a fantastic job researching this era when the men owned everything, the wife had only the possessions they approved of, and they could only do the activities their male relatives agreed to. I read the first book of the series, and the author has done an excellent job of highlighting what I missed in the second and third books. You can read this book as a standalone; however, I recommend reading the first book to get a thorough background on the characters before reading this one. The characters' emotions of jealousy, love, and betrayal are described in detail, which kept me intrigued with the story. The demographics of living in a castle were vivid, and I felt like I was walking the halls and going up the stairs to the turrets.

I did not find any negative aspects in this book. This well-written book has been professionally edited, and it was a joy to read. It has a smooth-flowing and well-written plot that intrigued me from beginning to end.

With only one error in the entire book, there is no reason for me to rate this book any lower than 4 out of 4 stars. It would be an injustice to the author to do so.

I recommend this book to mature readers who enjoy historical fiction and romance novels. I do not recommend this book to readers under 16 years of age because of the non-borderline profanity it contains.

Loving Leopold
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Amzes17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amzes17.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Amzes17 »

The details of this book might seem too simple to be centered upon, but I love the simplicity. However, I hope the author developed these events and painted an image with more stories than a jealous mother and a couple having issues over a nude photo shoot.
Penny Johnson 1
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: East Wind
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-johnson-1.html
Latest Review: Lilly Of The Mountains by D. L. Yoder
2022 Reading Goal: 25
2022 Goal Completion: 32%

Post by Penny Johnson 1 »

This review sounds amazing, making me want to read the book. I love the thought of it taking place in a castle. Loving Leopold sounds like it has all the makes of a great novel, romance, history, and jealousy. I will have to add this trilogy to my bookshelves. You did a superb review of this book.
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: The Bridge by Andrew Palmer

Post by Waliyat_24 »

Wow! This review got me thinking though. It’s always strange to be jealous of your child, but in some case, it can happen like that if the husband is partial in his treatment.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Living in Color by Mike Murphy
fav_author_id: 3039
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 110%

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

Can't see the historic part of the book. Maybe I have to read it first.
James Marshall 2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by James Marshall 2 »

After their conversation, Amalie is overcome with a whirlwind of emotions as Leopold makes his feelings known.This is a delightful love story during the Victorian period when men had all of the power. Jealousy runs deep between the characters and true love is sought.

Return to “Historical Fiction”