Review of Fairweather of the Bark Endeavour

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Review of Fairweather of the Bark Endeavour

Post by Peace Odii »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fairweather of the Bark Endeavour" by Helen Weiss.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fairweather of the Bark Endeavour by Helen Whitten Weiss is a book on an exciting sea adventure embarked upon by the "Endeavour ship." Fairweather, the ship's cat, was privileged to be on this most honorable voyage and has written an exceptional script after his adventure. The Endeavour, which sailed from England in 1678 under the command of Lieutenant James Cook, was at sea for three years on a mission to uncover top continental secrets which would bring about a significant change in Europe. Having to face the unpredictable dangers of the sea, the fatigue of a long voyage, and an almost impossible quest, Fairweather of the Bark Endeavour is a book on an incredibly catchy adventure that extends far beyond what any reader would anticipate.

I realized that many events are actually from my research about the Endeavor ship. All critical information, right from the dates, charts, maps, and discoveries, was correctly and adequately chronologized. I confirmed this on page 690 when the 13th day of July 1671 was recorded as a Sunday, and it was indeed correct. Many other instances were mentioned before this because the book was well dated. But I chose to mention the one on page 690. This aided easy understanding, and I considered it a positive feature.

I will not forget to acknowledge the remarkable cat who partook in this adventure. Although a cat, Fairweather lived up to earn a crew status. There are always disagreements in the men's ideas, perspectives, and priorities on every sea voyage, and I didn't see how a cat on this ship would better the situation. I admire the bond of love, friendship, and comradeship. This book again proves that genuine friendship between unlike characters forms the greatest bonds—for example, the friendship between the feline and canine species.

Fairweather of the Bark Endeavour is not void of any parameter required to qualify a book as exceptionally good. The writer did well to engage the reader's thoughts and consciousness even from the beginning. I realized from this book that there was always a need to engage the reader's mind more than writing beautiful words. Helen Weiss did well writing a story that allows the reader to be part of the thrill. Everyone can write, but not everyone knows how to establish communication between the readers and the characters. I credit the author for this.

Also, there were a lot of scientific discoveries written in this book. There was a vast number of recorded sea and land discoveries. Generally, I loved this book. There was nothing that didn't interest me on every page. The narrative was well written in a blend of humor, character, love, unity, and hope. I have no negative aspects against this book.

My rating of this book is 3 out of 4 stars because the book does not appear to be professionally edited. But this is the best sea adventure book I've read so far. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy adventure novels. The content would help improve vocabulary and enlighten on how to make friends and maintain them.

Fairweather of the Bark Endeavour
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

It is impressive to note that in this book the author ensured the information he included was historically correct. It sounds like a wonderful read. Thank you for your review.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

This novel certainly has an unusual aspect--a cat as a character on a sea voyage. Your recommendations are appreciated. I would like to read this book.
Mary Ndirangu 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-ndirangu-1.html
Latest Review: Schroedinger The Wonder Cat by Aaron Rosen

Post by Mary Ndirangu 1 »

The many aspects of life merged together to create this adventure story make the book seem quite interesting. I might add it to my shelf.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

An account of a cat? that is definitely humorous and unexpected angle to approach. I share in your appreciation of the datings being in chronological order. That will definitely make read easy and less stressful.
Derek Nowill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derek-nowill.html
Latest Review: The Slippery Road. by L. M. Bollers

Post by Derek Nowill »

The Endeavour left England in 1768 not 1678. Normally I wouldn't mention it, but because you made a point of saying how you had researched the chronology, as a pedant, I can't help it.
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Waliyat_24 »

I was at first confused if the story is about a cat or a human. I still don’t understand it though. Great review!
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

I expect historical fiction to respect historical facts, at least to a large extent, even if it is written from the view of a cat. Scurvy around that time was a serious ailment on large voyages at sea. Cats somehow werent concerned, its been said.
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

A cat on a sea voyage? that is definitely unusual. I would love to read this book. Nice review
Fearnia Laurel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fearnia-laurel.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Fearnia Laurel »

A sea adventure from a cat's point of view definitely seems interesting. Accurate historical facts is another plus. I definitely would like to read this book. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”