Review of Loss of Innocents

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 221
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Stitches by Julie L. James

Review of Loss of Innocents

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Loss of Innocents" by Alvin Bojar.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Thirteen-year-old Lucy Williamson was to be taken by her nanny by train to meet her parents in Worthing, England. However, her nanny announced it was her aunt’s birthday, and she wanted to stop and deliver her a small present before they journeyed to the train station. After entering the house and meeting the woman who was allegedly the aunt, Lucy discovered she was in a brothel and couldn’t leave. Being a lovely reverend’s daughter and a virgin, she was expected to bring an exceptionally high sum of money.

When Lucy didn’t appear, her parents rushed to the police station, frantically seeking their help in finding their daughter. There, they met a drunken ex-brothel owner, who informed them that their chances of locating Lucy were extremely small. She was most likely in one of the thousands of local brothels or had been shipped out of the country to some private buyer. Getting little help from the police and desperate to track down their daughter, they hire ex-Scotland Yard Inspector Jeremiah Minahan to assist in their search. Will they succeed in finding Lucy and returning her home?

Loss of Innocents by Alvin Bojar is a historical fiction that takes place in London in 1885. I must commend Mr. Bojar for the way he seamlessly merged the three threads running through the book. The first thread is comprised of Lucy’s life during and after the abduction. The second is the search for her by her parents. The last thread is the dangerous battle of several dedicated, real people to enlighten the public about this evil and get the laws changed. Their goal is to end the cruel plight of children like Lucy.

The author has clearly expended a great deal of effort researching for this book; in various instances, he uses individuals’ documented speech. This is a part of English history of which most of us are unaware. It was estimated there were over 10,000 brothels in England by 1885, and many children were tricked into them or were bought from their parents for the purpose of prostitution. The police were paid to look the other way. Even some degenerate members of Parliament regularly visited the brothels and had no desire to see them closed. It took extremely risky dedication by several determined and courageous men and women to try to bring about laws to protect the children. However, this ugly part of humanity has not been completely eradicated as we see in the human trafficking going on even today.

Mr. Bojar’s prose flows in a linear timeline and is easily understood. His descriptive writing transports the reader to 19th-century England and brings the heroes and heroines to life for us to know. Because his writing is so interesting and enthralling, the reader learns about this bit of English history without being bored. The action begins in the first chapter when Lucy is tricked into entering the brothel. Following that, the other characters and the plot are developed, intermittently incorporating danger and suspense into the narrative. This managed to keep me spellbound.

Sadly, the errors encountered in the novel were too numerous to give a perfect score. Therefore, Loss of Innocents receives a rating of three out of four stars. If the mistakes are cleared up, I believe it will be worthy of four stars. I enthusiastically recommend it to readers who enjoy historical fiction that takes place in England in the 1800s. There are several scenes of rape and attempted rape, although the author tries not to provide any more details than is necessary. In addition, torture is mentioned. The scenes involving little children, although not very descriptive, bothered me the most. This may be triggering for some readers. If that is the case, they might want to look elsewhere.

Loss of Innocents
View: on Bookshelves
mutumafrank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutumafrank.html
Latest Review: ABM is B2B. by Sangram Vajre

Post by mutumafrank »

The four stars attracted me to this review. Sounds like a sad but nice book. I might read the book to find out what happened to the daughter and if she was found. Great review
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: The Parrot's Perch by Karen Keilt

Post by Peace10 »

Human beings can be wicked at times. An innocent girl ti a brothel? And it still happen today as this novel depicts it.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

mutumafrank wrote: ↑16 Jun 2022, 04:47 The four stars attracted me to this review. Sounds like a sad but nice book. I might read the book to find out what happened to the daughter and if she was found. Great review
It actually only has three stars at this time, but it would be deserving of four if the errors are fixed. However, the errors didn't affect my enjoyment of the book. I hope you do get a chance to read it!
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ruthwriter »

The story is great.life could be so rough sometimes.i will like to know how the girl turns out.good review
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Peace10 wrote: ↑16 Jun 2022, 04:48 Human beings can be wicked at times. An innocent girl ti a brothel? And it still happen today as this novel depicts it.
Yes, it is sad that human trafficking is still a problem. Thanks for reading my review. I appreciate it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Ruthwriter wrote: ↑16 Jun 2022, 11:22 The story is great.life could be so rough sometimes.i will like to know how the girl turns out.good review
Thank you. You are right--life can be rough. It's up to those who are informed to spread the word, and that is what they did back then. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you get a chance to read the book!
Collins Kiprono 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collins-kiprono-4.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin
2022 Reading Goal: 120
2022 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Collins Kiprono 4 »

The background history of the book is comprehensive and well-researched. The writing of this book unquestionably required a substantial investment of time and effort. It vividly depicts the ugliness of late 19th-century England, when a girl as young as 13 might be coerced into a life of prostitution and held there in violation of no laws. The English are shown to be less "decent" than they would want the rest of the world to believe in this book. It is undeniably riveting; you won't be able to put the book down. Anyone interested in historical fiction will like this book.
Aluko 123456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
2022 Reading Goal: 7
2022 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Aluko 123456 »

It's an amazing book but my mind couldn't stop thinking about Lucy disappearance, could the Thirteen years old innocent being be found
Oluwapelumi Rachael
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwapelumi-rachael.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
2022 Reading Goal: 10
2022 Goal Completion: 150%

Post by Oluwapelumi Rachael »

Sex trafficking is an ugly reality that is still being faced in many parts of the world. I must applaud the author for writing about this as it is quite rare to find books of such genre.
BanditO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandito.html
Latest Review: Involuntary Reroute by Robert Laney

Post by BanditO »

Your review is so beautifully crafted. You’ve spiked my curiously and I want to know how this book played out. It’s for sure a sad book but there’s something compelling about it.
Covenant M Olusegun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-m-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Covenant M Olusegun »

This review makes me want to really find out what happened to Lucy! Inspire of the torture mentioned I really want to find out more.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Collins Kiprono 4 wrote: ↑16 Jun 2022, 15:31 The background history of the book is comprehensive and well-researched. The writing of this book unquestionably required a substantial investment of time and effort. It vividly depicts the ugliness of late 19th-century England, when a girl as young as 13 might be coerced into a life of prostitution and held there in violation of no laws. The English are shown to be less "decent" than they would want the rest of the world to believe in this book. It is undeniably riveting; you won't be able to put the book down. Anyone interested in historical fiction will like this book.
It sounds as though you have the gist of the book. I hope you will get to read it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
julietmumbua23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietmumbua23.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by julietmumbua23 »

The story sounds complex. Great review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Aluko 123456 wrote: ↑16 Jun 2022, 17:41 It's an amazing book but my mind couldn't stop thinking about Lucy disappearance, could the Thirteen years old innocent being be found
You will need to read the book to find out. :lol: Thank you for stopping by and reading my review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”