Review of Beyond the Higher Ground

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
James Ndumia
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-ndumia.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Review of Beyond the Higher Ground

Post by James Ndumia »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Beyond the Higher Ground" by Thomas A. Brigger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mason Tucker moves from Denver to find a new life in Bright’s Mountain in Southwest Virginia. He bought an apartment to settle in for the period he would be working there in the construction of a maximum-security prison. Having lost his wife, Katherine, and a past traumatic childhood, he wants to begin a new life in the new neighborhood. His attempts to establish contacts and relations with his neighbors are cumbered with hostile reactions and mysterious events.

The neighborhood hosts some clandestine activities of drug smuggling and which spreads roots in his construction company as well. His efforts to demystify the mysterious events happening in his apartment and the company unravel even more hostility and perilous attacks. However, despite the mysterious events and pleads by his friends to relocate from the mountains, he was reluctant to move as he apparently loved the vicinity of the neighborhood.

In this magnificent book, Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger, the author narrates an incredible story with a blend of detective work, espionage, and the captivating history of the Appalachian Mountains. The story triggers a myriad of questions as the author narrates an intriguing story with mysterious events and interesting turns of events. The author also incorporated some action in the book though without many explicit details.

I enjoyed how the author creatively established the characters in the book. The vivid descriptions of every event exuded a clear picture of the surrounding making the story more relatable. I liked the seamless flow of events and how the author gradually introduced the story behind every character. However, the book was relatively a bit long clicking at twenty-eight chapters. Nonetheless, the author maintained a charming atmosphere that made the story interesting and mesmerizing to the very end. And as for the ending, the author made a good conclusion to the book as he winded the book in a well-rounded way that is sure to leave his readers well satiated.

Consequently, I found nothing to dislike in the book. I didn’t come across any grammatical errors and as for the formatting, it was excellent. It was evident that the book was exceptionally well-edited. Therefore, I will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to readers who are great fans of fictional books with a good story narration well blended with some serendipitous activities, and a certain gist of mystery.

Beyond the Higher Ground
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”