Review of The Fox

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Antonieta Isaac
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonieta-isaac.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Review of The Fox

Post by Antonieta Isaac »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fox" by M. N. J. Butler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Leotychides, born in the Eurypontids palace, knows who he was at the age of three. Most of his childhood was spent with the nurses and his friend, who was also his cousin Agesipolis of the Agiad palace. He grew up beautiful, but this did not explain the weird gazes he received from the people. He considers himself the true heir to the throne, but his father never acknowledged him as his son. At the age of seven, he joins the flock where boys are taught and developed into men. He later realizes the meaning of those gazes as he learns about the forbidden topic. Will his father ever acknowledge him as his son? Will he inherit the throne? Why does he as a prince join the flock while the best tutors and trainers can easily be accessed in the palace? To find more on these topics and more interesting ones, then consider reading this great book.

What I loved about the book was the consistency which made reading easy. The way the author M. N. J. Butler explained events which might confuse the reader in brackets also made my reading smooth. The events that happened in the flock were well explained so that I could mentally relate them vividly as if it were in a real life situation. The book was exceptionally well edited, which every reader would admire. The organization of the book was top notch in the fact that the 27 chapters were divided into four books without interfering with the flow of the book. On the same it was useful in managing my time well and taking breaks.

There was nothing I hated about the book. The many chapters were cleverly assigned to book one to four, where it's the continuation of the last book. The characters were worthy of their roles;  for example; Agis was worthy of the role he played; and Lysander too, who is more of a villain to the main character Leotychides.

The book is worthy of a perfect score from the content, the cover and also the clear storyline development. I therefore rate this book 4 out of 4 stars as that is what it deserves. 

I would highly recommend the book The Fox to readers who love historical fiction. The book has no religious boundaries, hence is suitable for all. However, the book may not be suitable to readers who love few characters books as it contains many characters like those in ideal historical movies and books. Mature teens and adults can consider choosing this book.

The Fox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”