Review of The Curse of Beauty

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Review of The Curse of Beauty

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Curse of Beauty" by Lauren Lee Merewether.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

King Oceanus led his army to Tiryns, Greece with plans to overtake the village. Although Chieftain Aner wished to avoid bloodshed, led by Councilman Gorgon, the villagers fought back and forced the soldiers to retreat. However, they suffered the loss of several loved ones.

With plans to assemble a stronger and more ruthless army, Oceanus returned to Aktika, where his son Inachus lived. Because Inachus’s mother had died during his childbirth, Oceanus detested him and stayed away for years. Planning on using his son to head his army, he utilized multiple forms of torture to harden him and the soldiers. If anyone dared to question what the king said or did, they were executed and possibly tortured beforehand. Believing his father must always be right, Inachus gradually became more and more like the cruel king.

After several years of training and building his formidable army, the time came for Oceanus and Inachus to return to Tiryns. Knowing his plans had failed previously, Oceanus attempted a sneakier approach this time. He told the villagers he came in peace and brought food to them as a gift. He hoped to divide the people, which would make his takeover easier. Many of the villagers, having lost loved ones previously and wanting peace, were willing to give King Oceanus a chance. Will the Tirynese realize this evil king can’t be trusted in time to save themselves?

The Curse of Beauty: The Story Behind the Myth by Lauren Lee Merewether is a 484-page historical fiction, which is inspired by the Medusa myth. War, forbidden love, hate, and redemption all play roles in this intriguing tale. It is the first book in the Ancient Legends series but can be read as a standalone novel. It was difficult for me to predict the direction in which this mesmerizing story was going to unfold.

The book begins with a map of ancient Greece (1650 B.C.), which is enormously helpful in comprehending how the story evolves. The novel jumps into the action in the first chapter with King Oceanus and his soldiers arriving in Tiryns. The author has obviously spent time undertaking research and has brought ancient Greece vividly to life for the reader. Her enthralling prose demonstrated how Oceanus, with his psychological and physical abuse, could harden his son and soldiers into believing that respecting life represented a form of weakness. Conversely, Ms. Merewether showed how the people of Tiryns grew up under different circumstances and, therefore, had respect and love for others.

All of the main characters are excellently portrayed. One of the best characters is Thais, the chieftain’s daughter. She believes she has a role to play that is bigger than herself and is willing to set aside her own happiness for the good of the people. Her mother was killed in front of her when Oceanus came the first time. She will go outside of her comfort zone to prevent the bloodshed from happening again. However, her insecurity about the right course of action makes her believable and relatable. On the other hand, Oceanus thinks only of himself and reaching his goals. He has not always been so cruel. However, following his wife’s death, he has cared for no one and has believed other people’s lives are unimportant. Inachus has become hardened due to his father’s brutality. Although it is difficult to like him as he becomes more like his father, we grieve his horrendous childhood.

Although I have read several excellent books recently, this one has ranked among the best and has lingered in my thoughts since finishing it. There is nothing that I didn't relish. Therefore, I am thrilled to award it four out of four stars. This amazing novel is enthusiastically recommended to readers who appreciate historical fiction and drama, especially if they enjoy reading about ancient Greece and Greek mythology. Romance lovers would also appreciate it. A great deal of violence is encountered in the story. If that is a problem, then the reader might want to look elsewhere.

The Curse of Beauty
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

The most attractive bit of this book is the cover and the title. The woman looks beautiful, and I guess it attracts people to read the book.
Poetic Justice
Soraya Bayah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thuriya-albayaa.html
Latest Review: The Lockdown Collection by Barry Jacob

Post by Soraya Bayah »

Historical-fiction books that involve dramas and bloodshed are considered a favorite for me. I was engrossed with your review and will make sure to read this well-written and executed book. Each character seems likable and has a distinct personality. I am glad to have come to know about this book from you. Thank you for the review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Sarah1738 wrote: 15 May 2022, 05:22 The most attractive bit of this book is the cover and the title. The woman looks beautiful, and I guess it attracts people to read the book.
I agree that it is attractive. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

thuriya albayaa wrote: 15 May 2022, 06:22 Historical-fiction books that involve dramas and bloodshed are considered a favorite for me. I was engrossed with your review and will make sure to read this well-written and executed book. Each character seems likable and has a distinct personality. I am glad to have come to know about this book from you. Thank you for the review!
I don't think you will be disappointed. It was one of my favorites. Thanks for reading my review!
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

You definitely did a perfect job with this review. It gave me an idea of what was explored in this book. Historical fiction books interest me. Well done
ellimctreph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellimctreph.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by ellimctreph »

Not really a fan of historical fiction, but this one interests me.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

I don't know the Medusa myth, though the name sounds familiar. I love ancient greek stories and history.
Perfect review!
Zwelihle_Myeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zwelihle-myeni.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Zwelihle_Myeni »

Drama and unpredictable plot twists are my fighters. Reading from your review, I can tell how much you enjoyed reading this book. Oceanus will be my favorite character, I love his type, drama filled and ruthless. Thanks for a great recommendation.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Goodness C N wrote: 15 May 2022, 08:21 You definitely did a perfect job with this review. It gave me an idea of what was explored in this book. Historical fiction books interest me. Well done
I hope you get a chance to read it. Thanks for the comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

ellimctreph wrote: 15 May 2022, 08:25 Not really a fan of historical fiction, but this one interests me.
I think you would enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Uwe Neufeld wrote: 15 May 2022, 11:17 I don't know the Medusa myth, though the name sounds familiar. I love ancient greek stories and history.
Perfect review!
It is based on a female with a head of hair that looks like snakes. If you like Greek stories, you will love this one. Thanks for taking the time to read my review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Zwelihle_Myeni wrote: 15 May 2022, 12:38 Drama and unpredictable plot twists are my fighters. Reading from your review, I can tell how much you enjoyed reading this book. Oceanus will be my favorite character, I love his type, drama filled and ruthless. Thanks for a great recommendation.
You are welcome. I hope you enjoy reading it!
Olafunmi24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olafunmi24.html
Latest Review: Fill The Gaps by Andrew Johnston

Post by Olafunmi24 »

This is an awesome review. Losing a loved one can be traumatizing. I will like to read this book so as to know if king Oceanus will be trusted by the villagers.
Lindelani Nyandeni
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Lindelani Nyandeni »

The most catching part of this book is the cover and the title. The woman looks beautiful, and I think it will attracts people to read the book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”