Review of The Day I Disappeared

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bibliophile Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Moe Fields - The Special Bond Between Fathers and Sons by Stuart Z Goldstein

Review of The Day I Disappeared

Post by Bibliophile Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Day I Disappeared" by Maria Moriarity.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lydia found herself in the middle of clashes between forces of good and evil in different timelines to discover her identity. She must play a role in the grand scheme of fulfilling a particular prophecy.

The Day I Disappeared is a fictional story of the war Lydia and her ancient noble family fight. This ancient family consists of her mother Nortia, grandmother Ati, and their royal guard Antoni. They unite against the dark forces of the Riders of the Reunity, a sect led by their priestess/leader, Vanth, whose purpose is to unite two stones into one and wield their time-traveling powers.

Maria Moriarity did a fantastic job on the story's creativity; I was fully immersed in the world she created. Reading the book increased my fascination with time-traveling. Although I wouldn't say it was great, it would pass as a time killer.

The story possessed a great plot. The creativity was top notch with sci-fi elements bolstering the story's quality. The beginning of this book started in a fantasy-like fashion until the author expertly drifted it into science fiction. The concepts of nobility, prophecies, magic stones, and goddesses were the effects of time-traveling paradoxes that gave the book an overall sci-fi theme. The characters were rich enough and adequately detailed. However, the writer did a below-par job in building up the second protagonist, Nortia, as she lacked the expected qualities of a significant character.

Aside from having a great story pace and consistency, the author spiced up this book with romance and action. I found this book less predictable, but I expected the optimistic note on which it ended. Also, the storytelling capability of the author shined through, as sentence fluency, speech delivery, and dialogues were on point throughout this book.

On the negative side, I found this book a bit complicated. The intended storyline was understandable. However, the writer failed to simplify complex concepts, like time-traveling and paradoxes, in a way that readers would easily understand. I found it much of a burden when I tried to relate with the story's timelines, as a lot of time jumping was made between different characters at different times. I deemed it excessive because many settings were established, and some were not descriptive enough to captivate the reader's attention. Also, I did not find the story conclusion of some characters satisfactory. Characters like Nortia and Ati were abandoned at a point, and nothing was said of them again. I believed Maria Moriarity could have done a better job on a promising character like Nortia.

The editing of this book was world-class; I didn't encounter any errors. However, considering the negative points, I'd rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I'd recommend The Day I Disappeared to readers fascinated with sci-fi books or time-traveling concepts. It might be a bore or too complex to grasp for readers unassociated with science.

The Day I Disappeared
View: on Bookshelves
Ezidimma 01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ezidimma 01 »

I didn't like how nortia and Ati were abandoned at some point in the book as much as they weren't the major character.But i find the book interesting. What an amazing review
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The 90 Day Peace Project by Alice Langholt, Ph.D.

Post by Ellylion »

Books about time travel are not my cup of tea as a rule, but this one seems to be very engaging :) I like the cover and the title, they are very intriguing! Thank you for a great review!
beutiful_pen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beutiful-pen.html
Latest Review: The Decision by Michael D. Komeshak

Post by beutiful_pen »

Great review. I found this book intriguing even though there were some errors.
nutsa sesiashvili
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 1%

Post by nutsa sesiashvili »

The book looks really interesting. I would love to read and travel with the main character. The confrontation between good and evil is very exciting to read. I also like the cover of the book. The main idea of ​​the work is creatively embedded in it. ❤️
Ntokozo Joy
Currently Reading: Inner engineering
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: 1400697484
2022 Reading Goal: 24
2022 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Ntokozo Joy »

I am constantly intrigued by books that contain time travel so I will definitely be checking this one out. Thank you for such a wonderful review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”