Review of All the Seasons Never Lived

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fine Brand
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fine-brand.html
Latest Review: Words Matter by Robert Byrum

Review of All the Seasons Never Lived

Post by Fine Brand »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "All the Seasons Never Lived" by Judy Hovis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

All the Seasons Never Lived by Judy Hovis is a book that originated from a true-life story. It is a historical-fiction book that chronicles the life of Clarice and her fight for justice and also for maltreated women. On her way to Queen's Road to deliver a speech, Jackie reminisced on her past life with her parents. She was involved in a fatal accident that left her in a coma. While in the coma, she lives the life of her great grandmother, Clarice.

Clarice didn’t get to live like a normal child because her family was wiped out by a man who was trusted with the family’s financial security. With the help of Bernard and Father Pierre, she went into hiding with her younger brother, Andre. All these occurrences filled her with anger and left her traumatized. She lost everything in a blink of an eye. As the story progressed, she sought to avenge her parents’ death and recover all that was stolen. How was she able to do this with her life at stake? How far did she go?

There are different things I like about this book. The writing style was unique. The author was able to switch to two different times in this book. The storyline was also beautiful. Although the story didn’t start out interestingly, Judy's writing kept me captivated till the end. It was as if I was also in the story. I felt each and every emotion of all the characters. I was able to relate to all their actions no matter the circumstances. The descriptions of the characters were also amazing. I loved the courageous spirit of Clarice. When she wants to get something done, she puts her whole mind, body, and soul into it. Love is the most dominant theme in this book. Bernard, although not related to Clarice nor Andre, always made sure to protect them even if it would cost him his life. Henri, because of the love he had for Clarice, always did everything within his powers to protect her. The author crafted the theme of love skillfully into this book.

There were some aspects that I didn’t like about this book. At first, this book wasn’t interesting. It only started getting interesting as I progressed. I also did not understand some of the events in this book until quite later in the book, for instance, after Jackie's accident when the author went into another timeframe and introduced Clarice. I didn’t know who she was until I got to a certain point in the book. These could lead potential readers to an early conclusion that the book would not be interesting; perhaps, it's always better to make the book as interesting as possible from the word go. Also, the book wasn’t divided into chapters. Instead, Judy gave each chapter a title.

I didn’t notice any grammatical errors in this book. It leads me to the conclusion that this book was exceptionally well edited. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I didn’t give it a lower rating because the negative aspects I stated above did not take away the overall satisfaction I got from this book. This book also has some occasional sexual panoramas, and it also contains some profane words. I recommend this book to those who love historical fiction. Generally, lovers of non-fiction and fiction would find this book to be an exciting read.

All the Seasons Never Lived
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Blessing E »

Thanks. I appreciate well written reviews. This is because it gives me an idea of how to structure my reviews subsequently. Thanks teaching me what a good review is. And congratulations for having your review published.
Akinola John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinola-john.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Akinola John »

I love how the author makes the book interesting for readers as they keep reading. The author's unique writing style also makes the book enjoyable. Nice review.
Gwrites208
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gwrites208.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
2022 Reading Goal: 40
2022 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Gwrites208 »

I hope Clarice could get over her heart injuries of the past incident and able to recover her parent's loss.
I'm coming for you, the world

Return to “Historical Fiction”