Review of Killing Abel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PrincessVenus554
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princessvenus554.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Review of Killing Abel

Post by PrincessVenus554 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One of the oldest conflicts in human history is that of blood feuds. The animosity between Cain and Abel is shown in the Bible. Cain, the older brother, was fed up with continually trying to support and care for his younger sibling and was so angered by the situation that he was prompted to kill his brother due to the many insecurities and the whisper of evilness he received. This fundamental premise of Michael Tieman's book, Killing Abel, revisits some of the Bible’s most important stories and narratives. Despite the book's length and the fact that it covers more than just the stories of the two brothers, the author chose that title to emphasize the book's primary theme. This book also includes tales of Eve and Adam, Noah, and many other intriguing biblical accounts worth checking out. 

The Cain and Abel narrative exemplifies the covenant of allegiance between God and humankind. "The Flood" has always been my favorite chapter. On judgment day, when millions of men, women, and children die, and a continuous geographical mass is annihilated, it all comes to a head. A night of profound contemplation and sleep deprivation for Noah is depicted in this chapter as he gazes out at the sun rising over a moon that will never be the same again. Except for his family, the rest of the world was about to be judged. Even though Noah's family was safe, I appreciated that he was solemn because many had perished, and plenty more would perish in the future. Furthermore, he even contemplated what Cain's upcoming decision may be and hoped that he had affected Cain in a way that humbled him. 

When Cain and Abel's account is told, the Old Testament exhibits its dark underbelly. As the story progresses, we see them struggling with their emotions. It discusses God's view of sin and the ramifications of breaking his rules. It's a brief narrative, but it's chock-full of allusions to good, evil, and the glory of God. As a result, I couldn't think of anything negative about this book. 

Seeing the author's outright desire to instruct others about the history of the Bible makes me feel like I've been given a gift. While it took him years to develop his wisdom and guts, he generously shares them in this book, earning it a perfect 4 out of 4 stars. There are no grammatical errors in the book, which indicates that it has been thoroughly edited. 

In the narrative of Cain and Abel, we see both our limitations and our greatness. The story isn't about right and wrong; it’s about the inherent goodness and evil in every person. People who want to learn about some of the most important biblical stories should check out this book. However, this book may not be for individuals sensitive to spiritual matters.

Killing Abel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”