Review of Survie Trompeuse

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Review of Survie Trompeuse

Post by Alice Heritage »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Survie Trompeuse" by LC Lee.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Roman Catholic Church has long played a role in shaping world history. Not only that, but it has shaped individual lives too. If Beth, an orphaned peasant girl from Brittany, had not become a nun, she would probably never have set foot in Haiti.

Having become Sister Andrée upon taking her vows, she is sent there in 1801 to join a mission. As she settles in, she is struck by the beauty of Haiti, but also shocked by the bare breasts of local girl Yahima. She can't quite believe her eyes when one of them almost brushes the shoulders of the priest, Father René, as she massages them. Andrée soon learns that René isn't too motivated to convert the natives to Christianity. What further lengths will this rebel priest go to as the trappings of the church fall away when he and Andrée have to flee for their lives following an uprising?

Becoming a fugitive in the wilds of Haiti is just the first adventure that befalls Andrée in the fiction novel Survie Trompeuse by LC Lee (in French). The theme of the interaction between clothing and identity is developed as Andrée must dress like a native to avoid capture by the Vodou people threatening the French settlers. Andrée and René have left the church behind them for now, but will it let go of them so easily? I thoroughly enjoyed the way this book raises questions about the role of established religion versus belief. There is nothing opinionated about it, however. First and foremost, this is a life story narrated from Andrée's point of view.

I loved all the details the author included, such as the leathery taste of wine poured from a goatskin. Objects acquire a special significance. Through many forced relocations, one of the few possessions Andrée retains is her mother's wedding ring, which is initially used when she espouses Christ. Will it have further uses as the story progresses? The way Andrée's thoughts occasionally returned to her childhood and her mother showed the author's tight control of the narrative, and that this work was meticulously crafted and polished.

This being so, the book had no serious flaws. I might have appreciated learning more of René's point of view because he remained enigmatic. For example, it might have been interesting to discover more about his motives for joining the church. However, this is a minor point and in no way detracts from the richness of this thrilling tale. For these reasons, I rate this book four out of four stars.

As a result of its complexity, this work could appeal to various audiences. Set mainly in Napoleon's time, it would interest historical fiction fans. The events are furled around a touching love story that could get romance readers' hearts fluttering. The sex scenes are too tasteful to offend all but the most conservative. While the author doesn't exactly show the Catholic Church in a favourable light, she remains objective, merely recounting various facts and leaving readers to draw their own conclusions. This being so, this book could certainly appeal to those of any or no religion. Its style and vocabulary are literary, so an excellent knowledge of French would be required to read this version. However, this is also available in English under the title Deceitful Survival.

Survie Trompeuse
View: on Bookshelves
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Essy Nma
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-nma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Essy Nma »

Writing such controversial issues as religion and belief, it is always advisable to allow the readers to ask and answer questions on their own. It makes it more engaging and I like the way the author did this. Thanks for the review.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Essy Nma wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 21:15 Writing such controversial issues as religion and belief, it is always advisable to allow the readers to ask and answer questions on their own. It makes it more engaging and I like the way the author did this. Thanks for the review.
Yes, it was a story - the heroine certainly didn't so much have a calling as little choice. But it was all told in an impartial way. Thanks for your comment!
Mod
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I'd be interested to read about these objects that have special significance. I'm a fan of historical fiction, so I may just be checking this out. Great review.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Raymond N wrote: 31 Mar 2022, 10:51 I'd be interested to read about these objects that have special significance. I'm a fan of historical fiction, so I may just be checking this out. Great review.
The wedding ring is a very interesting one! Thanks for your comment.
Mod
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

This review is thorough. I am impressed by the book's theme of faith and fate. René and Andrée are typical examples of what human beings face in their various fields of endeavour.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

destipath247 wrote: 08 Apr 2022, 11:16 This review is thorough. I am impressed by the book's theme of faith and fate. René and Andrée are typical examples of what human beings face in their various fields of endeavour.
Well - their experiences are quite unusual for a nun and a priest. Thank you for your comment!
Mod
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

OMG, I've been looking for that book, and I forgot the title. Is there an English version?
Your review only makes it sure that I'll enjoy it. Thanks! :techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyinggray:
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 08 Apr 2022, 11:32
destipath247 wrote: 08 Apr 2022, 11:16 This review is thorough. I am impressed by the book's theme of faith and fate. René and Andrée are typical examples of what human beings face in their various fields of endeavour.
Well - their experiences are quite unusual for a nun and a priest. Thank you for your comment!
Alright. I anticipate reading more reviews from you.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 10:19 OMG, I've been looking for that book, and I forgot the title. Is there an English version?
Your review only makes it sure that I'll enjoy it. Thanks! :techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyinggray:
Yes - Deceitful Survival. I think that was written first, though the settings and characters make French a good fit. It's a good book - enjoy!
Mod
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 13:56
PeterRabitt20 wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 10:19 OMG, I've been looking for that book, and I forgot the title. Is there an English version?
Yes - Deceitful Survival. I think that was written first, though the settings and characters make French a good fit. It's a good book - enjoy!
Thanks!
Ben Madeley
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

I've not heard of this before, it sounds interesting.

Return to “Historical Fiction”