Review of Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Review of Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess

Post by Praise George-kayode »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life at sea can be full of challenges. It was no different in this fictional novel Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess. Dan Hendrickson wrote the book. It features themes of love, family ties, loyalty, secrets, and paybacks.

The Plague, Captain of the Red Witch, and his wife, The Scarlet Mistress, were murdered on a ship, which was invaded and attacked by Lomoche and Admiral Bennet. Before Katrina dies, she plans with Skinner, her bother-in-law, how he and Brandy will disguise themselves as enslaved people to escape from the ship. She also ensured all the ship's crew swore an oath of allegiance to Lomoche and Bennet, pending the time her daughter and Brandy would come back to reclaim the ship. Brandy and Skinner live a new life with hidden identities. Brandy has no intention of going back to a pirate's lifestyle until the ship and the love of her life are being threatened. How does she react? Do all those years of hiding and training pay off? Grab a copy of this book to find out.

The book had a superb and engaging plot. It was written in chronological order and included each event's physical and spatial settings. These made the storyline easy to understand. The book was adequately structured, as each event was duly categorized. The author captivated the reader's mind from the beginning with a story that would leave one wanting to find out what happened in the later chapters. The book was suspenseful. I loved how every event played out. Despite its settings, it was written in a straightforward dialect.

The characters were engaging and fascinating. They brought smiles to my face on different occasions. When Captain Joshua revealed Davonte as his heir, the infectious laugh also infected me. The characters and characterization were top-notch. The characters were properly introduced and well developed. It was amazing as I watched them grow. Characters like Brandy and Ralphie encounter a total metamorphosis as the book progresses.

There was nothing to dislike about this book. It was adequately structured and excellently written. I also encountered a few minor errors that did not hinder my smooth reading process. The book was a mixture of action, comedy, adventure, and romance. It mirrored Africa and its politics at that time. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for these positive reasons.

I recommend this book to lovers of historical fiction and adventure. Anyone interested in a light read will also find this book welcoming.

Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

What an interesting book to read. Thanks for the amazing review
Poetic Justice
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Praise George-kayode »

Sarah1738 wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 23:45 What an interesting book to read. Thanks for the amazing review
Thanks for the comment. It was actually interesting the read.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

Looks like an enjoyable read with a mixture of adventure, humor and history. Stories depicting pirates rarely fail to disappoint me. Thanks for the nice review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

I saw this book on my shelf to read, but I will pick it up to read with this review. Great review!
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”