Review of Shadow Song

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Review of Shadow Song

Post by Emily_Jen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shadow Song" by Anita Morrish.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shadow Song by Anita Morrish is a fiction novel based on events in and around Rome from July 1943 to June 1944. Following Eisenhower’s approval of the Italian government’s request for an armistice, the Germans attack Rome. Opposition forces exist around Rome, and following Rome's occupation by Germany, several Roman soldiers join these forces.

Francesca lives in Rome with her family. Her brother, Roberto, is one of the soldiers that fled to join those forces around Rome, and she hopes to see him return home. However, that can only happen when the Germans are defeated. She meets a tenor singer called Giorgio and falls in love with him. He recruits her to be part of the activities of the opposition forces. However, what would she do when Giorgio is captured by the Germans? Can she help her brother return home? What is her role in the opposition?

Carlo, an army doctor, has returned to Rome after getting shot at Sicily. Before his return, however, he is recruited by a partisan force to aid the exchange of intelligence around Rome. He gets a job as a doctor in a hospital where Francesca’s friends work. What happens when Carlo rekindles an old love interest that is under the watchful eyes of the Germans? How would Carlo and Francesca help achieve Rome’s liberation? Would they get caught?

I laud Morrish’s ability to incorporate fictitious events into real-life accounts in a way that people who have little or no knowledge about those historical accounts would mistake them for real events. I had to browse about the events that took place between Germany and Italy during that period to differentiate the real and fictitious parts of this novel.

Another thing I like about this publication is the way the author makes readers fall in love and root for several characters. I knew what the outcome of the war was going to be, but I didn’t know if my favorite characters would make it to the end, and that kept me on the edge of my seat, hoping for the best. I also like that the author didn’t try to force the story into a happy ending for any character. Anybody could have been caught by the Germans, and anybody could have been killed. Readers are going to be shocked by some of the happenings in the read. I would stop there because I don’t want to provide any spoilers.

I didn’t dislike anything about this 390-page book. The plot was excellent and engaging. I enjoyed seeing the events unfold through Carlo's and Francesca's eyes. The third-person narration, dialogue between the characters, and their internal monologues helped me understand each character’s personality. Additionally, I appreciated the map that was included at the beginning of the novel. The map helped me have a good idea of the relative positions of different places.

I have no reason to rate this publication any less than 4 out of 4 stars. Moreover, the text is professionally edited; I found only a few errors that didn’t detract from my reading experience. Readers interested in historical fiction books would enjoy this read. Readers that like war stories would also find this one interesting. Happy reading!

Shadow Song
View: on Bookshelves
M7Md Salem
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by M7Md Salem »

Carlo, an army doctor, has returned to Rome after getting shot at Sicily. Before his return, however, he is recruited by a partisan force to aid the exchange of intelligence around Rome. He gets a job as a doctor in a hospital where Francesca’s friends work.
Blessing Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-odii.html
Latest Review: The Proximity of Stars by Benedict Stuart

Post by Blessing Odii »

I love war novels. The review sounds interesting. Nice review.
Pauls_
Currently Reading: A Dagger In The Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul.html
Latest Review: Recognizing Beauty by Cyndi Burrough

Post by Pauls_ »

It's admirable that you took out time to browse on what happened during the period where the author wrote about. I would love to if Carlo and Francesca did save Rome. Thanks for the great review.
Reading_Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-jack.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Reading_Jack »

From the plot to the settings, and then the characters, the book sounds amazing. wonderful job.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I thought that column was familiar! As someone born and raised in Rome, I am very curious to see a foreigner's take on this beautiful city. And in such complex times, moreover! Thank you for this great review, I will put this book on my shelf :D
Tehreem_Khan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tehreem-khan.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Tehreem_Khan »

War novels always have a unique rawness of emotions in them that remains unparalleled by any other emotional piece of work. One such work of intensity that captivated me is All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.
I'll definitely be reading this one too.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

I enjoyed reading every bit of this review. This is a work well done by the author. Thanks for the review.
Pauls_
Currently Reading: A Dagger In The Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul.html
Latest Review: Recognizing Beauty by Cyndi Burrough

Post by Pauls_ »

War novels makes me sad but I will try this out. The review was aptly written.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I'm a fan of historical fiction, so I should be adding this to my shelf. Thank you for the review.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I don't usually graduate toward historical fiction novels set around war, especially around world war II as I have read many books on that topic. I do like the Rome setting as it is a magnificent and historically rich city. I like the realistic outcome that the author intended for her characters. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am not a fan of war stories because they are mostly sad. But this book comes free, so I will try it out. I was able to go to Rome a while ago, so I'm also interested to see if the places I visited figure in the story of Carlo and Francesca.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 83952
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1153%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

This is a gripping heart wrench world war 2 tales a young couple struggle to stay alive in morrishs engrossing historical tales war is ravaging Italy Francesca an art student is content working at times Opera house but soon realize that nothing is as it seems.... Yet for all this the novel is fulof indestructible love and relentless hope fan of historical drama with be enthralled BOTD
Nicole Adam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adam.html
Latest Review: The Atlantis Cure by Pierce Roberts

Post by Nicole Adam »

A fiction novel based on events in and around Rome from July 1943 to June 1944 sounds like my kind of book. Although war themed books carries a sad vibe to it, but I'll be willing to read this book. I would want to be enlightened on the historical events in Rome. Congratulations on BOTD.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I don't care much for war stories, but I do love historical fiction. This sounds like an intense story. I hope Francesca and her brother make it home safely. Because of the war part of this novel I am going to think about this one for awhile! Thanks for the excellent review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Return to “Historical Fiction”