Review of Rescuing General Patton

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Review of Rescuing General Patton

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Rescuing General Patton" by Curtis Stephen Burdick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The story starts when John Harding, a retired Major who works in the United States Army's Department of Records meets an unexpected 'fan', Julia Patton Walton, at the signing of his book who shares some classified information with him regarding secrets that her grandfather, General Patton kept about what happened to him in World War II. John makes it his mission to reveal the truth to the world and digs up old archives that would help him write his book. The story shifts to General Patton's secrets as John hands Julia his manuscript, and we read it along with her. General Patton is captured and taken prisoner by the Germans and a squad is readied, with Major Pizzio at its head, to rescue the General. Major Pizzio leads his team in this 'suicide mission' and we get to read about his struggles, and other characters' dilemmas as this enthralling novel, Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick proceeds.

"We just have to force ourselves to press on every day and hopefully, one day, we’ll find out that we won."
This is just one of the many sentences from this book that have stayed with me and meant a lot to me. Burdick is a truly gifted storyteller whose words work magic on his readers. The story, the characters, especially that of Major Pizzio, and the theme of the book are simply spectacular. Set in a WWII setting, this book is not only heartwarming but is also packed with action. Written in the format of a story within a story, Burdick has created a book that will be hard to put down once the pace picks up, which is nearly at the beginning of the book.

A good book is made from its characters and the character-building and their development journey in this book have easily been one of the best of most modern books of the same genre. With multiple elements of surprise and even a slight love angle, this book is the perfect combination of history, fiction, conspiracy theories, love and humour. For me this book was flawless and hence I could not find any negatives.

I happily give this book 4 out of 4 stars for its impeccable storyline and writing style. I doubt there is a single book by this author that wouldn't get this rating from me. The writing and editing were also really efficient and I found no grammatical errors in the entire book.

This book is based on real World War II characters and the events described are a mixture of facts, fiction and conspiracy theories. I would like to recommend this book to everyone but it contains some extreme profanities so it would not be advisable for minors. It is, however, a perfect read for historical fiction lovers, WWII enthusiasts and action/thriller readers. It contains no sexual content either and in conclusion, the appropriate audience is guaranteed to love this book.

Rescuing General Patton
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Anisha Purvi
In It Together VIP
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anisha Purvi »

I have read and loved Tales From The Grey Area by Burdick as well, I'm sure this book will be great too. Thank for the review!
Anila17
In It Together VIP
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anila17 »

Sounda like a beautifully written book with great poin of views. Everyone loves a good soldier's story, congrats on the amazing review!
Chesko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chesko.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Chesko »

It sounds like the author did a splendid job building the plot and characters in this book. Thanks for the detailed review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”