Review of Silver Wings Over the Horizon

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Review of Silver Wings Over the Horizon

Post by Praise GodWord »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Silver Wings Over the Horizon" by Penny Paul.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Samantha Cummings was a young graduate from nursing school, alongside four other friends. Her vision of becoming a female pilot spurred her to take a gorgeous action that brought Lieutenant Brad into her life. Alongside three other friends, Sam joined the Women’s Airforce Service pilots rising to become the first female pilot to ferry the B-17 Bomber to England. This was due to the increased need for pilots to combat the German rivalry during World War II. A onetime survivor of a bomber attacked by a German flight plane, Samantha, escaped death after her plane crashed with her life preserved by a parachute, a life jacket, and the group of French Resistance who faked to be fishermen. Brad and Sam had met on several occasions. Brad had flown several flights, engaged in lots of rescue missions which earned him the honor of Major in the US Army Air Corps. Read along to find out if the two pilots survived several deadly attacks in rigorous moments.

How far can you go in pursuing your dream? There are lots of books distinctively about love, romance, and career. But this historical fiction is quite outstanding. Penny Paul in Silver Wings Over The Horizon has explained the realistic power of setting goals and determination. Both the medical and aviation terms used in the book make it more of a factual story, although I attribute it to the author’s experience in both nursing practice and piloting. The book is a compendium of heroic adventures by two soulmates brought together by fate. It is also more or less a historical fiction book, as it cast rays on some highlights from World War II.

This book is a reader’s digest in simplified grammatical structure and organization. Each of the chapters explained a particular event, making it easy to be understood by its readers. The book in its entirety reflects the journey to a fulfilled life; it pointed out in its plot that life is not a bed of roses, but through determination, one can achieve more. Brad and Sam were imbued with features that reflect these themes in the book. After reading the book, I couldn’t resist the propelling force to succeed that invaded my subconscious mind. I really appreciate Penny Paul. Best of all was the last article on the book titled "Health Attacks." The author expressed his skill in the health sector by explaining the meaning, symptoms, and remedies. The inclusion of this feature makes this a complete book.

I have no affirmation to accept that this book has flaws and negative propositions to mar the beautiful work of Penny Paul. It felt real reading the pathetic torture scenes by the German Nazis. I had nearly dropped down tears. However, I didn't see this as a negative aspect. Those who are sensitive to such scenes should avoid this book. There was absolutely nothing I disliked about the book.

Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for its compliance with grammatical rules as I found no errors throughout. Also, my rating could be based on the author’s creativity that makes it look more like a non-fiction book. It was still exceptionally well edited.

This book is recommended to young readers who are slacking in pursuing their dream due to delay or financial constraints. I believe it would stir up their self-motivation to rise and take necessary actions. Also, I recommend this book to members of the aviation industry for better ways to ensure the welfare and protection of pilots.

Silver Wings Over the Horizon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

I love the idea of a female pilot. I would to try this book. Thanks for the review!
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

A woman working in the airforce is a unique plot. Great review here.
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

Samantha is a very strong and ambitious woman. I don't enjoy historical fiction, but I would give this one a try. Nice review.
nhlanhla m 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by nhlanhla m 5 »

I love the fact she's the first woman pilot to ferry B-17 bomber to England. Great review
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Everyone needs some motivation. This should be inspiring and entertaining. Thank you for your review.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

A woman taking over the force and flying a plane? Seems like an interesting read. Nice review
Praise Mercy Jedd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Praise Mercy Jedd »

Wow, what beautiful book.
I'm greatly impressed by women who take challenging roles
She is a motivation
Last edited by Praise Mercy Jedd on 29 Jan 2022, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

It is important to have such a book on our shelves as one book can change your life for real by inspiring women in the same challenging world.
Mirikwe Nuela
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mirikwe Nuela »

Another name for this book should be " a journey to a fulfilled life". There might be ups and down for one trying to live his/her dream life, but with self determination and perseverance, one can achieve his/her goals just like Brad and Samantha. I love this book, one book that can change one's life..

Return to “Historical Fiction”