Review of A Quarter Past

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthonio042
Currently Reading: Sex, Genes and Rock 'n' Roll
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthonio042.html
Latest Review: "INVASIONS: 'Killing og the Indian'" by Don Diehl

Review of A Quarter Past

Post by Anthonio042 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Quarter Past" by Luke Mauerman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As quickly as we can clutch it, time glides through our hands like a grain of dust, and all we can do is look at it, hoping to just hold on to it, slipping away our memorable events. Perhaps a time machine is a ticket to teleportation and a permit to go back in time and rediscover the most special memories of our lives. David and Mark can totally relate because David's machine made it possible for them to go back in time. When Mark, a gay, inquisitive man, was curious about San Francisco's recent history, the World War II era, and learned that his friend had made a discovery that would allow him to travel back to where he wanted, he felt forced to put his trust in David. You'll find out how Luke Mauerman's novel A Quarter Past chronicles Mark's enthralling voyage, which includes encounters with people from the past as well as his tension about facing enormous challenges on his journey.

This is a novel, which means that a large portion of the story is fictitious. I don't believe in time travel, but the author did his best to give me a notion of what it's like to experience it. Despite the author's meticulous attention to detail, he never neglected to use an engaging and amusing tone when portraying his characters. Despite Mark's reluctance to visit a certain place, I like the book's portrayal of his determination to do so. Given his current potential, Mark did everything he could to meet people and show them who he was in his adventures. Using his social skills, critical thinking, and perseverance solely, he was able to prove that he could be with any person, anywhere and at any time, in any place in the world.

The author only provided a brief overview of the book, so I had no idea what the book was about. Following that, even if it wasn't the book I was expecting, the author's writing style is excellent. My only concern is that this book could have been even better if it focused on the significance of the time machine itself, giving the plot a bit more ingenuity rather than just the author's intentions, particularly his erotic fascination with homosexual males, which I find unappealing.

Many fascinating ideas are covered in this book, despite the fact that some chapters could be difficult to grasp for me because of the disturbing erotic scenes involving homosexuality. In light of how important it was for the author to convince his audience of the importance of time travel, his overall creation was not dull at all. Consequently, my rating for this book is 3 out of 4 stars. However, aside from the fact that this book has many grammatical errors to correct, I'm still yearning for a captivating time-traveling narrative in this book. 

If you're a historical fiction fan, you must check this book out. Additionally, this may be interesting to those enthusiastic about time travel and would like to understand more about the possibility of teleportation. Furthermore, homosexual and gay readers will gain much from Mark's overall adventure, which is full of excitement.

A Quarter Past
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

This is quite a fascinating story on time travel. I would really love to read this book, at least to know more about Mark's adventures and the people him met in his travel. Nice job on the review.
Hussein21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hussein21.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Hussein21 »

Time passes by without notice, if given the opportunity to time travel I would gladly take it. I love the content of this book
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

The fantasy of time travel never gets old.....thanks for a nice review
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

Historical fiction fans will love this. I enjoyed reading the review. Well done.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Time travel is an interesting concept. Great review.
Oyedele Tomijane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cleverspider001.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Oyedele Tomijane »

Anthonio042 wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 06:24 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Quarter Past" by Luke Mauerman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As quickly as we can clutch it, time glides through our hands like a grain of dust, and all we can do is look at it, hoping to just hold on to it, slipping away our memorable events. Perhaps a time machine is a ticket to teleportation and a permit to go back in time and rediscover the most special memories of our lives. David and Mark can totally relate because David's machine made it possible for them to go back in time. When Mark, a gay, inquisitive man, was curious about San Francisco's recent history, the World War II era, and learned that his friend had made a discovery that would allow him to travel back to where he wanted, he felt forced to put his trust in David. You'll find out how Luke Mauerman's novel A Quarter Past chronicles Mark's enthralling voyage, which includes encounters with people from the past as well as his tension about facing enormous challenges on his journey.

This is a novel, which means that a large portion of the story is fictitious. I don't believe in time travel, but the author did his best to give me a notion of what it's like to experience it. Despite the author's meticulous attention to detail, he never neglected to use an engaging and amusing tone when portraying his characters. Despite Mark's reluctance to visit a certain place, I like the book's portrayal of his determination to do so. Given his current potential, Mark did everything he could to meet people and show them who he was in his adventures. Using his social skills, critical thinking, and perseverance solely, he was able to prove that he could be with any person, anywhere and at any time, in any place in the world.

The author only provided a brief overview of the book, so I had no idea what the book was about. Following that, even if it wasn't the book I was expecting, the author's writing style is excellent. My only concern is that this book could have been even better if it focused on the significance of the time machine itself, giving the plot a bit more ingenuity rather than just the author's intentions, particularly his erotic fascination with homosexual males, which I find unappealing.

Many fascinating ideas are covered in this book, despite the fact that some chapters could be difficult to grasp for me because of the disturbing erotic scenes involving homosexuality. In light of how important it was for the author to convince his audience of the importance of time travel, his overall creation was not dull at all. Consequently, my rating for this book is 3 out of 4 stars. However, aside from the fact that this book has many grammatical errors to correct, I'm still yearning for a captivating time-traveling narrative in this book. 

If you're a historical fiction fan, you must check this book out. Additionally, this may be interesting to those enthusiastic about time travel and would like to understand more about the possibility of teleportation. Furthermore, homosexual and gay readers will gain much from Mark's overall adventure, which is full of excitement.

A Quarter Past
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
I love reading books about time travel :oops: . The potential that comes from being able to change the past is just so immense. Thanks for the review. :D

Return to “Historical Fiction”